Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, December 3, 2015

What's in the Jar? ~ Random Tidbits

Guess what I am making next? 

Hint:  It will need to infuse for 3-4 weeks and will be ready in the nick of time for Christmas day.


Hint two:  It's for adults only.

I'm infusing dark organic coffee beans with organic vodka first.  Then you mix a mixture of brewed coffee and sugar and a slight bit of dark rum - homemade coffee liqueur.

For the recipe visit here:  One Tomato Two Tomato (she has a lot of ads, just to warn you, but good recipes) 

This can double as a hot toddy too.  

Hubby just sat and watched me mix, then shook his head and smiled.  He knows I can find the strangest recipes.  I have one for using my lemongrass next year too.

I spent the day ordering books from our library system online.  We can borrow books from other libraries and have it sent to our local library to borrow.  I think I ordered 36 books, so I hope they don't all come in at one time.  They are all DIY type homesteading books.  I'm looking through many herbal books too, to see which one is the best to purchase.  I like to give them a look-see before I purchase.  Some are great for beginners, but some lack the content of which I am looking for.  I love the library, because I can look through the books first, and check them out for free.

10 comments:

Liz said...

That sounds so interesting!! I forgot I can do that with my library too! What a great idea!

Susan said...

Oooh, that sounds delish! You wouldn't want to post the recipe, would you? I went to click over to her blog but got too many red flags! I always make a Bailey's Irish Cream knock-off and would like something different this year (as, I'm sure, my gift recipients would agree). I need to go online and order some audio books - and get a list of winter reading. I 'rediscovered' all my homesteading books, so don't have to go far for inspiration.

Mama Pea said...

We have a fantastic library system here, too, which sounds much like yours. They've even purchased books we've requested when they didn't have them in their system. Can't beat that!

As for your new alcoholic concoction . . . I'll drink to that! :o]

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Liz, it sounded pretty good to me too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan,

Coffee Liqueur Recipe

By By Tammy Kimbler

Adapted from this magical House of Brinson recipe.

This recipe requires 3-4 weeks of infusing time, so start now!

Ingredients:

6 oz whole dark roast coffee beans
3 c vodka (inexpensive is totally OK)

1 1/4 c freshly brewed coffee
1 1/4 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs dark rum

Instructions:

Combine 6 oz of whole, dark roast coffee beans (about 1.5 to 2 cups, depending on the beans) with the vodka in a glass container. Cover and let infuse for 3-4 weeks.

Strain the vodka coffee bean mixture through a coffee filter and set aside.

Combine the freshly brewed coffee and sugar in a small sauce pan. Heat until sugar is dissolved in the coffee.

In a glass bottle or jar, combine vodka coffee, coffee syrup, vanilla and rum.

To use, pour a shot over ice, with or without a little half and half, add a glug to your coffee (hot or iced), hot chocolate or hot toddy, and just generally enjoy the heck out of it all year long.
http://www.onetomato-twotomato.com/2015/11/coffee-liqueur-cures-what-ails-you/

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, our library is fairly small, so I am thankful we can order from other nearby ones too.

Sam I Am...... said...

Sounds yummy for some Christmas cheer! I'm already "behind the 8 ball" so no new projects for me but maybe next year? All mine need to be mailed too.

RB said...

You're a very busy lady Kristine. I admire your "stick-to-it've-ness" (however that's spelled).
Have a great weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, that's great your projects are all ready.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, thanks!