Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, December 11, 2015

Random Tidbits ~ Baking Tip

(Puppy nap time)
 
The other day I was up before 5:00am, and not because of dogs.  I just couldn't sleep for some reason, and then the phone rang - fog delay.  I was able to get a few good hours of writing in while the pups slept.  The pups pretty much sleep like this when the are worn out from play time.

I had to laugh at King one day.  He had a squeaky dog bone toy in is mouth and was barking at the same time, trying to get Jesse to play.  Jesse wanted none of it, but the sound King was making was hilarious.  Like he was saying "pretty please?" to Jesse.


(They will both sit for me, and patiently wait for treats)

The pups have been introduced to the vacuum cleaner and the hair dryer.  King barks at the vacuum, but otherwise they are okay with both.   They also had their first taste of organic peanut butter

They met barn kitty Timmy, and thankfully Timmy sat still and did not run off.  King thinks running cats mean play time.  We are teaching him not to chase the cat.   Aurora met them too, but she tends to run from strangers.  She'll warm up to them.

Thankfully they both know "no."  It makes things much easier.   

Zuri knows "shake" now.  She's still learning, but lifts her paw eagerly to get that treat.  King plays fetch now.

I am finishing up handmade gifts, but have a few more to go if my side of the family is having a gathering.  I know that we are not cooking a big dinner on Christmas here either.  I typically do not.  We have a traditional breakfast, and eat leftovers, enjoy the day sitting around talking or watching a movie together.

I have been keeping much more organized with finances now that I keep an open planner by my computer.  It's been so much help for me.  I use one color for all the bills and due dates.  One thing I do not have are birthdays for some reason.
  
In less the a week Son arrives. I am putting a new bed set on his bed and making is cozy.  He took his hand crocheted blanket to Camp Leguene.  Funny story about that blanket.   It's crocheted in black and red.  Those are Marine colors.  I crocheted it years before he joined too.  He requested black and red pot holders for when he gets out and had a place of his own too.  I have plenty of time for that project.

I made banana muffins yesterday.  I ran out of baking powder and did not have arrowroot, so I used 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda for one teaspoon of baking powder.  Worked just the same.  

  

10 comments:

EMMA said...

Those two are too cute!
You must be so excited that your son is coming home.
My lot want sweedish meat balls for Christmas dinner, think i'll make them with turkey meat!

Mama Pea said...

Seems there are many advantages to getting the two pups together, aren't there? You can teach two at the same time rather than going through the whole process with one first and then the second one when he/she comes along. Plus they have each other for company . . . and nap cuddling!

Susan said...

What adorable puppies! I like the sound of your holiday. It's so sane.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Emma, thanks. Swedish meatballs sound delicious.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I never thought I would come home with two, but they really entertain each other and both are learning quickly.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, for years we would run from house to house, bake constantly, and stress out. This season we are taking it much slower.

RB said...

Glad the pups are working out. Good to know the substitute for baking powder. I never have baking powder in the house because it expires so quickly, but baking soda and cream of tartar do not, so that's a better option.
We're having a beautiful weekend here. The dog is so blessed to have us home so we can let him out in the yard to enjoy it. We don't leave him out when we're not home because with all the wild critters that ramble through the property, we don't consider it safe for him to be out there alone.
Hope you have a great weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I think we will be putting in a play area fence so they can play while I garden and do other outside work.

RB said...

A fence is a good idea.
We have a kennel for Buddy, but we ended up putting runs in it for stray cats to hide in and be safe from the foxes, stray dogs, etc. So we built another run for Buddy, and he's figured out how to get out of it. So now we have a metal post in the ground that we affix a long line to that we put him out on when we're at home.
If we're not at home, he stays in the cabin behind the house. It has a tv, radio, heat, a/c - the works, and Bro Tom stays out there with him most nights.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, sounds nice.