Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Let the baking begin....

Before we got started, I had to empty a canning jar of homemade vanilla.  It smells so good!

 New cookie this season - whiskey caramel cookies.
  


 Youngest helped make one batch of hard tack candy - root beer.  I used a non-gmo/organic corn syrup.



A batch of our favorite butter cut outs.


Another new recipe.  These are crock pot cinnamon pecans.  I found the recipe online.  You bake them in the crock pot and then cool them on parchment paper.  Delicious!

And this is cutting it back, ha ha!  We are still making a few more.  Today, I leave the kitchen to the girls.  My 19 year-old is baking a cake for her youngest sister's birthday.

The scrap cotton yarn rug is progressing.  I'm using every scrap yarn I have, even if it only makes one row on the rug.  It's my late night project right now.

 

16 comments:

Liz said...

Yum...you have some wonderful looking goodies! I really,really need to make some more vanilla! What a colorful rug! It sure will brighten up some room when you are done.

Kim said...

I love the smell of my house when I bake. But hubs is a diabetic now and not much baking going on around here anymore.

Dawn said...

Lovely makes I will have to look up making some vanilla essence and the pecans :-)

Rain said...

I thought about slow cooker nuts for Christmas, we're not huge cinnamon fans, but I'm going to look for recipes with pecans, I have a bag of them that need to be used. Thanks for jogging my memory! Those whisky cookies looks amazing. My bf and I are big whisky collectors, my fave is Canadian, his is bourbon. Just curious what whisky do you use? Is it your recipe that you'd be willing to share? :)

Susan said...

I had to laugh - cutting back, indeed! I really like that rug. Even though I have never crocheted, I wonder if I would be able to make something like that. I have oodles of scrap yarn, since I never can throw anything yarn away.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Liz, I hope to have enough scrap yarn to make two or three rugs.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, I really should not be making even this much stuff (Hubby's sugar issues). I hope to spread the goodies to my Dad and Mom too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Dawn, I typically make my vanilla in February then let it sit until December or when I need to refill.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I used Jack Daniel's. I used Taste of Home's recipe, but next time will make my own caramel sauce I think. Recipe: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/caramel-whiskey-cookies

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I use a basic crochet stitch and cotton yarns for the rugs. I'm sure you'd be able to make them.

Mama Pea said...

Yes, the whiskey/caramel cookies do look awfully good! I thought about trying some new cookie recipes this year, but didn't get to it.

Your rug from scrap yarn is so attractive. Sort of like a scrap quilt which is about my favorite kind.

Denise said...

Love the rug. I'm not baking this year. I don't need the extra calories. Your sweets look great though.

EMMA said...

All looks so delicious.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I still want to try one more new recipe, but it will be after Christmas.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Denise, I don't need the sugar either, nor my husband, but the kids will goggle them up for me.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Emma!