Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Homemade Herbal Lip Balm ~ 2nd Making ~ Uses for a Salad Spinner


Like most of you, my hands, face, and lips are feeling dried up and awful already (cold and wind).  My younger two girls love the homemade lip balm, and we are almost out of homemade hand lotion.  That is now on my to-do list now also.

The last time I made the lip balm I used small plastic, round containers. 

 This time I used lip balm tubes.  I used 10 of them.


I like to wash my containers with hot soapy water, so you may want to do this the night before.  I did not, so I gently ran them around in my salad spinner.  It worked pretty good in removing the excess water.


I once again, used the recipe found at Mountain Rose Herbs blog - using my homemade calendula herbal oil, made from my homegrown calendula plant.


I had a few spill a bit, but overall did pretty good the first time using these tubes.  I also used peppermint oil vs. lavender.  The kids have used their lip balm up from the last batch already, and I only had one left.  They went through it faster than I thought, but I feel so much better knowing what is in it.  I like Burt's Bee's stuff, but it's very expensive.  This recipe is a true keeper for me. 

I will need to double my calendula plants next year.  Just maybe these will make it to friends and family next Christmas.  My kids have already put their names on these tubes.  I guess that I should feel proud they want it, vs. making fun of me for playing with herbs and such, sigh...

10 comments:

Kim said...

I think it is wonderful that you are able to make one more thing for your family. In a SHTF situation this would not be considered a necessity, but it sure is something nice to make enduring some of the other things a bit easier. Can you reuse your tubes since it is just for your family? And your kids will one day realize the wealth that you have afforded them and hopefully will absorb as much of it as they can before they wake up and realize they are trying to play catch up.

Mama Pea said...

Although my daughter uses lip balm year 'round, I can't stand to have it on my lips. Eeuuuw! (I know, it's just a weird personal thing.) But then my lips never feel dried or chapped either so I don't feel I need it. It's my hands that drive me bonkers in the winter . . . both the feel of them being so dry and the cracks I get around the sides of my nails. I was looking at some Burt's Bees products this past week and, cowabunga, they are expensive! Your efforts at your homemade products are priceless! (And better, too.)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, I was just thinking last night, that I will try and recycle the tubes for my family.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, the handmade lotion I gifted last year was a hit. My Mom gave a jar of the unscented to her neighbor, who had great results using it on her dry heels.

Sam I Am...... said...

I have the pastilles but nothing else to make them. I've been meaning to do this for about 2 years now. Good for you!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, the tubes were more difficult to fill, but the some of my girls have long nails and have trouble using the round containers. It's been fun learning anyway.

RB said...

I use my salad spinner to wash herbs and leeks too. Works well.
You're so industrious.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you RB

EMMA said...

Sounds too easy to be true!!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Emma, it really is easy to make. One thing though. I noticed Hubby had a reaction to the one I made with lavender oil. For anyone sensitive, I would leave the oil out, or use a different one. Otherwise, we've really liked the results.