Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, December 4, 2015

. . . from the handiwork journal

Now, first of all, I have no business in starting any of these new fun projects, but I did.  I still have a baby blanket that is not finished.  Remember the granny square one?  I put it away and plum forgot again.  I have to use different white yarn so we'll see if it even turns out right when I do finish it.  

So.... 


Cup of coffee anyone?  This one was a bit of a challenge for me, and my coffee is sitting up a bit too high in the cup, but I'm glad I'm venturing into toys for kids.  This would even make a nice pin cushion for someone who sews and loves coffee.  Heck, it could be hot chocolate.  I could crochet mini marshmallows on top.  I mean it's a play toy, so we can play all sorts of make believe.

 How about a slice of thin crust pepperoni pizza?  I will be making a thick crust too.

I purchased a crochet book filled with toy food for kids.  However, her instructions are not that great.  She leaves out some instructions and details, so if you are a newbie, you'd be saying "huh?" a lot.


 How about a do-nut served on a plate?  Plate is from my pattern book, but do-nut is free on the internet.



You say you want chocolate frosting?  No problem.

 You want sprinkles too?  No problem.



You want that do-nut for a tree ornament?  No problem.   Red Heart yarn has the pattern for free online.



I finally got around to making my first, ever, chicken pot holder.  I used a free tutorial on Youtube, but I think I would make some changes - ditch the hook in the center, make a wing (or not), and maybe make a second one and stitch together for double thickness.  What would you do different?  This could also be used as a dishcloth as is, and the hook would make it nice to hang and dry it.  There pattern is one I like better, but it's sold on Etsy as a finished product, not the pattern.

8 comments:

Mama Pea said...

These cute projects put a smile on my face this morning! (Good thing you're such an accomplished crocheter though . . . I know I'd never be able to turn out all those fun "toys."

I'd leave the hook off the chicken "potholder" and mount it on the wall in its special little spot in the kitchen!

Susan said...

They are all adorable! I LOVE the doughnut with sprinkles! And that chicken pot holder! OMG. I really do need to learn how to crochet.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I do love the new items I've done, but when I put the chicken on the wall hanger it flops over. Sad face. I may try sewing a second one to the back, but I don't know if that would stiffen it up a bit to hold the shape.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, the ornament was pretty easy, and the chicken pot holder too. I may need to make a few more this season yet. My daughter asked for an ornament for a school Christmas tree, so that's what she got - teacher and kids loved it.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

What a happy distraction!
I love the play food and the chicken!

I have a new grandbaby on the way... and really NEED to get busy on a blanket...
cute stuff!
You're always making something.

Sam I Am...... said...

So cute...each and every one of them. You do a beautiful job crocheting too! I am trying to finish up gifts to get in the mail....wish me luck!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Patricia, it is a happy distraction, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sam I am