Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Bread Baking ~ Library visit

Rainy days are good for bread baking.  I made my first Jalapeno Cheddar Artisan bread the other day.  Yum!  If you'd like to try the recipe it's from Candy at Lazy J Bar C Blogspot  Delicious!  I baked it to go along with ham bone soup for dinner. 

The weather continues to be wet and cold here.  I made a trip to the library and brought home these:



 
E.T. is for the girls to watch.  They've never watched it before.  E.T. was a movie I watched in my hometown theater (when movies were shown via a reel), which is now a classy bar.  Go figure.  The drug store that my Dad part owned, next door to the theater is also a bar.  It's kind of sad that those old time businesses could not be re-opened to the same type of business. 

Anyway, the Christmas book look interesting, although it was written way before internet, smart phones and other gadgets.  I'll see if it's any good.  The last none is one I've borrowed before, but I wanted to read about homemade cat food.  I borrowed several on growing mustard as well.  

I actually took a few minutes to have tea on the porch.  I'm pretty sure today it will be too cold.

Something random . . . one day I want to have a "Little House" Christmas with the family.  Meaning nothing, whatsoever store bought, store manufactured, or made by a factory.  I want to have a homespun, from scratch, Christmas, and completely do away with buying of gifts.   

The kids still ask for things they want like make up, movies, etc.  I get it.  They are kids.  But one day, it will be a homespun Christmas here.  Instead of spending those hours shopping in crowded stores (or spending countless hours surfing the internet), I want to spend it sipping coffee or tea, baking cookies together, or reading together, or simply enjoying the company of family (and friends) together.   To make that happen, I'd have to rent a cabin that does not have wifi.  If I turned it off here, they'd find a way to turn it back on.

We have dense fog here this morningIt's a good day to tidy up indoors, and finish up my chores from yesterday. 
 

11 comments:

Yart said...

I think once my littlest no longer believes in Santa, I will start to impliment the Little House Christmas. I agree, I would rather have something hand made anyday over store bought any day.

Liz said...

That sounds like a perfect Christmas! We actually kind of did that with my in-laws a few years ago. We rented a cabin by Branson MO. Spent the day playing cards and board games. And of course eating! I will have to see if my library can get that book on making your own pet food. My hubby has never seen ET

Mama Pea said...

When I stopped at the library this past Monday, I picked up the DVD "It's a Wonderful Life." Can you believe I've never seen it?? Now I just have to make a special evening to sit down to watch it . . . hoping I don't fall asleep. (Doesn't matter if I'm into a good book or good movie, when I stop moving after dinner I tend to fall asleep!)

Kristina, the thing I so admire about you is that you have so many interests . . . and follow through on them!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Yart, I think once my younger kiddos grow out of that "gotta have it" stage in life,they may all agree to it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Liz, I think everyone should see E.T. As for the dog/cat food book, I may end up buying it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, Hubby is the first to fall asleep watching a movie after dinner. It's dark at just after 5pm here, and that alone makes me sleepy. Shucks, thanks for that compliment.

Rain said...

We are having a "Little House" holiday this year. A large car repair and 2 sudden and expensive vet visits is the reason. But you know what? My bf and I talked about it and we feel good because there is no pressure to spend spend spend. I'm going to make a nice meal, all from scratch. We have some land in the back and we'll harvest a small pine and decorate it with what we have on hand. We have a nice bar and can make some adult-eggnog and sit by the fire and enjoy Christmas together. We adopted 3 rescue dogs and 1 rescue cat this fall (we couldn't help ourselves!), so adding to our 2 cats already, our 6 pets at home and healthy is just perfect for Christmas!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, the tree from your own property sounds absolutely wonderful. I haven't had a real tree since I was a kids. We are using a tight budget for Christmas here, so the kids know that too. Everything my own extended family gets is handmade or homemade. I still need to make a few more things.

RB said...

I think the idea of homemade, homespun gifts is a great idea. For years, I've made afgans and quilts for the younguns. I'm now several behind and will have to get on it so I can get it done while I'm still able.
I have a touch of bronchitis here. It started up at work last night and made the night seem very very long, even though I only work 5 hour shifts. Started on MucinexDM as soon as I got home, and I'll probably be "souping" it this weekend, cause that always seems to make a body feel better, and right now I'm feeling like something the cat dragged in.
Prayers for a blessed and safe weekend for everyone.
Love you.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I sure hope you feel better soon.

RB said...

Thank you Kristina.
You're the best!!!
God bless.
RB
<><