Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Random Tidbits

Today's weather is not as cold as yesterday.  I'm going to put a few folding lawn chairs back on the front porch.  I hear Thanksgiving day will be warm enough to sit there and relax a bit.

Hubby plans on working all day Thanksgiving day.  Not at his full-time job, but here.  We have a lot of brush to take care of yet.  Most likely I'll be working in the kitchen in outdoor work clothes, joining him when I can as well.  

I'm typing like a mad woman, to get caught back up with National Novel Writing Month.
Although cold, I put a few loads of laundry out, and all of the heavy towels dried - lots of wind to help.


I used leftover sliced carrots to make a vegetable quesadilla yesterday for lunch - delicious!  I added onion, green pepper, and broccoli.

Jesse (the dog) is now getting an Omega 3 for dogs added to his homemade dog food.  He has fatty tumors, and his master (19 year-old daughter) did some research, and adding omega 3 may reduce his tumors.  

Last night's dinner was amazing.  I was digging in my recipe box a few days back, for a recipe when I saw Honey- Jalapeno Chicken Tenders. I ended up marinating the chicken all night this time, and it was amazing.  I also used jalapeno slices with the seeds left in.  The best ever.  Spicy and delicious!  I used our portable counter-top grill this time vs. the outdoor grill.

We had a doe on the property last night before dark.  Kind of neat to see her.  Either she was going for the kale in my garden, or the pasture to bed down for the night.

I added the last color of scrap yarn to the scrap yarn blanket I am crocheting.  I hope to finish it in the next few days.  

I have really scaled back on gift giving this year.  I'm making less homemade gifts than ever.  It wasn't planned, but it feels a bit odd too.  I typically have it together by Thanksgiving.  

I'm starting a slouchy hat for one of the girls.  She is the only one that doesn't have one.

I'm scaling back on outdoor Christmas lights too.  I typically have them around the porch and side of the house, but I think just the porch is enough.  Maybe this year's motto will be "less is best."   Unless Hubby finds blue lights, then it will be only one evergreen tree, which would be very pretty.

I was invited to a Christmas craft venue, but I do not have enough to set up and sell.  Maybe next year.  They kids enjoy doing it, and I find it fun and relaxing. 

I have no plans today.  Oddly. I do have a few boxes of donations that need dropped off.  I better look over my to-do list.  I might get a head start on the barn cleaning today.

Good News!  I found out Son is able to come home for Christmas!!!  He's already making plans to take the girls to the movies - a tradition with him.  



 

  

7 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Ha! You and I may be wearing the same outfit for Thanksgiving! We're trying to finish putting up a lean-to on the side of the garage before the snow comes and really cold weather hits. Hubby is doing the majority of the work by himself while I've been working on inside things, but a couple of times a day I have to go out and hold the end of some 2 x 6s or some such task. (We both must remember to keep washing our hands when we come back into work on the dinner.) ;o}

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea,I hope we both get our work done. I surely don't want to see a yard full of brush frozen to the ground for winter.

Kim said...

That is great news for son being home for christmas. So will momma hen have all the chicks in the nest for christmas?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, I am waiting to hear from oldest daughter, but I hope to have them all here.

RB said...

What a blessing your son will be home for CHRISTmas. Will your daughter be home too? It's always such a blessing with military members can get home, both for them and for their families.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, we hope to have them all home this year.

RB said...

I pray you do too - all safe and sound.
God bless.
RB
<><