Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, November 6, 2015

Dandelion Greens for Dogs ~ Crocheted Cowls ~ Writing Update

I picked up more dandelion greens on my trip to town delivering meals to Dad.  With my dehydrator due to arrive any day now, I plan to dehydrate some for Jesse.  The one dog remaining from the original pack of ours.

He has tumors, and some were removed, but are growing back.  They are "fatty" tumors, but with that in mind, I'm drying dandelion, to sprinkle over his food (1 tsp. per every 20 lbs. of weight).  

His dog treats are made with kale, so he's getting more vitamins and nutrients that way as well.
 


Yesterday, I made it to the porch for a bit.  Most the day was spent indoors due to the farmer spraying (again).


I managed to crochet myself a wool cowl.  It's a short one for outdoor work, and I also finished a longer one for keeping warm this winter.  I am told we'll have a mild winter, but I am prepared either way. I made my cowls using bulk wool yarn, and a HDC stitch, in back loops only.

I've written 10,000 of the 50,000 word count for November's National Novel Writing Month.   I'm getting there much quicker than in past years.

We were to go camping this weekend (again), but one daughter has homecoming, and needs a ride there and back, and invited a friend to stay the night.  I'm the last to know these things evidently.  Sigh....

Hubby wants to take the camper over for one night (trying to make up for saying yes to our daughter and not telling me), but it's not worth it for one night.  That's too much work with a pop up, and way too cold for a tent.  It is already very windy today, and it will dip down to the 30's this Saturday and Sunday night.  Honestly, that is too cold, even with a heater in the camper.

It's just that I am used to having balance with marriage and kids, and the kids are trumping my "marriage time" this fall. If I don't have balance, I become irritable and down right scary.  My entire weekend last weekend was filled with screaming girls, so another weekend with girls over was not what I wanted to hear.

I'll get over it (again), and keep myself busy with other things.  Maybe, with my sour attitude, I should write a few "thankful" moments today?

Today I am thankful for:
~ being one day ahead on my word count
~ not having to cook dinner tonight
~ for honey
~ for fresh ginger
~ hot water
~ Son finally getting his box of winter clothing
~ as always, organic coffee
~ God's Word
~ pencil and paper
~ stashed yarn   
~ the sale of one slouchy hat (that's money that goes into my "island" fund 

 

9 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Take time for yourself this weekend as kind of a substitute for not being able to go camping. You need an upper and there's no reason in the world you're not entitled to it. Historically, we gals have always put others (kids, husbands, extended family) ahead of ourselves and, as you say, that doesn't do much except make us cranky and sometimes scary! ;o} Take care of yourself.

EMMA said...

Gosh your dog food sounds so healthy!!
Cowl looks great, just right length so it won't dangle in your way while your working.
Two weekends of screaming girls!!! yes, I would be grateful for organic coffee too. My boys have just taken up guitar and drums so I'm anticipating many loud weekends in the future!

Sandra said...

I love cowls, especially wool ones :)
Good luck with your writing.
My sister and daughter participate in that too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, you are right about putting ourselves last. I hope to get some "me" time tomorrow.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Emma, yes, our dog is spoiled. Ha! Sounds like your home will be filled with some banging now.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra, it's always a challenge to get that much writing time crammed into one month, but I've written some pretty good stories too.

Sam I Am...... said...

Good for you with the writing despite all that's going on. Maybe you could have a date night instead? Pretty soon your house will be quiet and you will wonder where all those years went so fast.

RB said...

Good idea to make a short cowl for working outdoors. Then it won't get in the way while you work.
Temps are dropping here tonight too. Good night for cuddling up with a good movie or book.
I pray the girls take it easy on you this weekend. Have you ever explained the "marriage time" to them? If they knew, it might make a difference in the demands they put on you and/or hubby.
Have a great weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I have put off making a cowl because I knew it would get in the way with work, but found a pattern for the short cowl and love it. The girls do know that Mom and Dad need "balance" time, so they tend to agree with us camping one night without kids.