Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Chicken feed in my hair and other homestead moments. . .

No photos for this tidbit, but you might get a laugh.  It was raining and pretty dark out.  I headed out to open the barn doors and let some light in on the ladies and Sparta.  It was still raining and too early to let them out and about, so I
went to put feed in their feeders.

Miss Hennie is still in the "emergency" coop, so I went to feed the others first.  I scooped and poured, and scooped again, but something moved and up went the scoop, up went the feed, and up went my heart beat.

A small mouse squeezed his way into feed tote (which is now getting switched out with a metal trash can), and had gotten into the feed itself.  Gross right?  I had a mess to clean up, but not until after Jesse tore after that mouse. 

Out it went, and Jesse right after it.  It squeezed back into the cement brick crevice and Jesse would not remove his nose from it.  So funny to see him try to catch a tiny mouse, but now he's a mouse chaser too.

Update on Miss Hennie:  she has her tail up and her comb is back to the up position as well.  She's now jumping up on the ledge at night to roost, and looks much better.  No egg yet today, but looking so much better.   

I was feeling under the weather yesterday and brewed a few cups of hot ginger teaI sipped it slowly, while typing away on my write-it-all-in-a-month novel.  Jesse was so needy, and I did not feel like walking him, but I did.  He is just like a kidWhen he goes on his walks, it seems as if he sniffs out every little thing.  

Last night I learned how to install a new toilet.  I helped Hubby, and we now have one new toilet.  He picked one out that has the flush button on the tank lid.  There are two buttons - one for half flush and one for full flush.  I'm skeptical on how long the parts will last on it.  The seems to be cheaply made, but isn't most stuff these days?

Last night we watched a new homesteading show, and it was enjoyable to watch.  I have no idea what the name of it was, so I'll be searching it out today, and hopefully watch it again.

It drizzled and rained all day, so the tree work was put on halt again.  We have very little time on weeknights to get anything completed outdoors (with the time change now). It's pitch dark out yet this morning, so I have a backup plan if it rains again.  My huge stack of paperwork needing filed, looms over my computer areaMy list from Monday has become the all-week to-do list.

There are two of us now with earaches, congestion and fatigue.  I'll be brewing up more hot tea today.  I know that stress is the reason I am not feeling 100% me.  Adding the National Novel Writing Month into my day takes a good chunk of my time.  I really need a weekend or even a one night retreat of some sort.

I better get this posted,  I need to pull on my muck boots, don an apron and get chores done.  

4 comments:

Kim said...

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I am also glad that was a mouse and not a snake in the feed.

Sandra said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, I'm glad it wasn't a snake too. Ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sandra!