Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Sawdust up my nose. . .

The Hubs and I split more wood, and have a pile we still need to stack today.


We used a wedge and sledge on about three of these huge pieces, then split them up.  We got our work out for a day.   They look small in the photo, but they are about 3-4 feet wide and larger.   And guess what we found under the  stumps?


 
Ha!  Guess the ladies were hiding out under the stump pile lately. 


The sledge I broke got a new handle, but it had to sit 24 hours before I can use it again.

Today it's another day of splitting wood.  I'm up before the sunrise, so I can enjoy a cup of java on the porch.



8 comments:

Kim said...

It was a cold and damp 43* on my porch this morning. It feels good to get that wood split doesn't it?

Mama Pea said...

How many women can say they broke a sledgehammer? You go, girl!

Connie said...

Looks like a lot of hard work . . . I enjoy any kind of work outside. How about you? I have no idea what you found; when we cut a couple trees down last year we found a hornet nests inside one that was hollow. Looking at your split wood makes me dream of cozy winter fires and hot chocolate :)
Have a lovely week.
Connie :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Connie, if you click on "read more" at the end of the post it will show you the rest of the post. We found that the chickens were laying eggs under the pile, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, it sure feels good to see it getting stacked too. I think Hubby is finally realizing we need it done ASAP.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Ha ha! Mama Pea, you made me laugh. When I went to the store to buy the original one, a man asked me what I was doing. When I told him I was splitting wood with a wedge, his eyes got big. He was shocked that folks still did that, ha ha! That was the year my son and I split a cord by hand.

RB said...

Have never run a chainsaw myself, and with my record of accidents, that's probably a very good thing too.
Our Dad use to call cutting wood, "the job that warms twice". LOL I remember helping move and stack it as an older child and then again as a teen. We'd start up a type of fire-brigade-bucket-line and toss the cut wood from one person to another all the way to the place it was going to be stacked. Worked well, especially if you had a lot of people.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, it is a family event here most weekends, but the girls wanted to go to the zoo the last weekend. We did it ourselves, but still got a good amount cut.