Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Recycling the barn siding.....

 A while back, I ordered a few stencils to paint signs for your home.  I'm painting sayings on the old barn siding we removed from the big barn.  The stencil above was a free sample, and I'm glad I had a sample to practice with.  Rough barn wood is not easy to paint.  I'm so glad I got the stencils vs. trying to freehand them as well.

This one had a few nails at the end, and even gently giggling the nails loose, they both broke.  It left the sharp end on the other side, so those had to be removed.  Just old stuff to work with.






This, so far is my favorite.  I simply picked up the wood, and it was perfect for my sign, no cutting involved (nor nails).  I just have to add hooks and we can enjoy it. 

I just need a few more boards cut, so I'll have to hit up Hubby, for his time when he gets home.  

The weather has turned chilly and this coming weekend would be a perfect camping weekend, but there is a 60% chance of rain.  I guess we'll just watch the weather and see what happens.

I won't be without work if it does rain, but will be disappointed if we don't get more of that barn down.  There's that word again - patience.

 A few years ago I volunteered to teach folks how to eat healthy/organic, and on a low budget to avoid processed foods.  It did not happen.  I was told that anyone picking up food at a food pantry, only wants the food and that's it.  They don't care.  It's a shame too.  It's little things that can save so much time and money.  I bought organic celery recently - buy one get one free.  They are getting chopped up and frozen into these cubes, so come winter (or any other day I need celery), I have it on hand, and don't need to make a trip to the store.  It's just thinking ahead, and shopping smart.


Since I missed delivering Dad meals last week, I made sure I cooked one breakfast for him - eggs, bacon, and home grown potatoes with onions.   While in town, I needed organic coffee.  One store stopped selling it, and put in more of those machine coffees.  I drove across town to another store, and found they changed brands, but still sold it.  Hm.  I guess I may need to stock that up before the snow falls too.

I have one last flower bed to weed, but the early dew is still on everything right now.  I guess I'll finish up cleaning the window blinds, write a few articles, and so forth.  It's so peaceful here today.  I'm tempted to go knock boards off the barn, but I know I'll get into trouble with the Hubs if I do.

.....patience.

12 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I know driving the 2-1/2 hours to the craft market wouldn't be feasible to sell your signs, but what about making up a bunch and offering them to us, your faithful readers? Or you could even take special orders. I can think of more than one I'd like for my quilt room. And lordy knows, the patience one would be very appropriate for me!! Or do you think the shipping costs would be too great? You wouldn't have to use much packaging on a product like that. Maybe even cut up cardboard boxes and "wrap" the signs with it and good tape. I love them already!

Do NOT go work on the barn by yourself, little lady! It would be too dangerous. Even if you sustained a minor injury, you don't want to get a nasty cut or bruise from a board whopping you upside the head. You will be put in a "time out" if you even think about working on that by yourself!

Kim said...

Yes dear, patience or an atomic bomb! It will get done in it own time. Safety is the first point of concern. Love the signs. I bet those would sell at farmers market in a big way.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I thought about doing that with the signs, but the stencils are not reusable that I got. They have a film on the back that sticks them down to hold the paint from running out. I tried to save one, but it did not work. With the rough surface it's difficult to use a plastic stencil, without the paint getting where I don't want it. I'll keep looking for the same type, but less expensive. Otherwise, I'd have to mark a sign up to $20 to sell it. Without hooks on the back. Almost all of the siding on the side we took down is no good. I will see if we can save the sides, but I guess we'll see.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Kim, we hope to get more done this weekend, but rain is in the forecast.

Debby Flowers said...

I love your signs too. I wonder if there is some kind of re-usable stencil that you can make yourself.... will think on this. Maybe some kind of spray adhesive... I know template plastic is expensive. I use freezer paper templates with fabric a lot, but I suppose that wouldn't adhere to the wood by ironing like it does with fabric.

Wish you well with all of your projects... and safety too!

EMMA said...

Great idea, I think this one came out just fine.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Debby, the ones I bought worked great, but not cheap either.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Emma, thanks.

RB said...

Saw a sign one time that said, "Lord, I need patience, NOW!!!" LOL
The signs look nice. Maybe you could market some for others to buy for CHRISTmas gifts, maybe on Etsy?
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks RB

Sam I Am...... said...

Love your signs and you could sell them at your craft fairs in the Spring. I love the idea of the celery in the ice cube trays. Do they just freeze together or do you add water to the tray too?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, thanks. I do add a bit of water to keep the celery frozen into cubes. I freeze them, pop them out and put them into zip freezer bags.