Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, October 16, 2015

Homemade Gift Ideas for the Holidays

I went back through my blog recently, and compiled a post today to share many handmade gifts I made over the years.  Hopefully, you will find an idea here, or have one to share.


What I gifted in 2015:  Christmas 2015



Handmade Hand Lotion (they loved this!)  I ended up putting it in 4 oz. canning jars to gift.  I do suggest adding the preservative for gifting too.





(shows everything handmade/homemade I gifted last Christmas, including herbs from my herb garden)


 Make a Knitting Basket Christmas Tree Ornament
I made these with small baskets I purchased at our local dollar store.  This year I cannot find them.  However, Red Heart Yarn (online) now has a pattern to crochet a basket for this type of ornament ( free patterns:  Crochet Basket Ornament and Knitted Basket Ornament ).
 




Handmade Christmas Tree ornaments (I have a few posts to give you ideas of what I made over several years).








Instructions on how to make a plastic canvas Santa money holder


 


Crocheted Earrings (and more dishcloths)








Homemade Cinnamon-Honey Butter (a big winner also).




Crocheted dishcloths in many patterns
Crocheted Hot Pad sets



Crocheted cup cozies, cup coasters or placemats (or sets)
(Photograph:  cup coaster)




 Embroidered flour sack towels or cloth napkins


Framed embroidered fabric with fun sayings



 Crocheted "rosebud" dish scrubbies 
Pattern for this scrubbie is found in Mary Jane Butters book:  Mary Jane's Stitching Room


Crocheted bookmarks and Keychains
(I gifted this bookmark to Mary Jane Butters on her birthday one year.  Not sure if she ever received it though.)




Bookmarks made with recycled stamps.
These bookmarks were fun to make and I gifted these one year too.



Handmade note cards
(use photos, fabric, wallpaper etc.) 



Floral Dish Scrubbies (and other ideas)
I found the free pattern online:  Scrubby Posey

 



Gifts I made Christmas 2012 - homemade jelly, granola, handmade ornaments.  I may have put some crocheted dishcloths in those too.  I recycled wooden clementine boxes.







Homemade Vanilla Extract




 Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix



 Homemade Taco Mix, with a recipe for a salsa dip included
(I recycled baby food jars, painted the lids, and included a handmade magnet on top of each lid made from a recycled bottle cap embellished with crochet).




Crocheted Soap Saver Bags



Handmade pin cushions using scrap fabric and recycled punch bowl cups.


Hand crocheted wash cloths


Hand crocheted (or knitted) scarves, hats, gloves, mittens, or slippers 


 Embellished paperclips - these are crocheted

 

 Other ideas:
Homemade Goat's Milk Soap (or any homemade soap)
Anything home canned/dried
Home grown popcorn
Handmade bracelets/necklaces/rings
Cross-stitched bread basket covers
Handmade accessories:  purses, belts, tote bags, hair clips
Live plants - such as an Aloe plant
 Homemade garlic, onion, or hot pepper powders
Herbal Infused honey
Framed artwork
Homemade vinegar
Homemade healing salves
Herbal drawer/closet sachets
Flower seeds from your garden
Print up a family favorite recipe cookbook  
Handmade rugs, mud rugs, or blankets
Handmade cowls


More Ideas at:  S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot

Please share any more ideas!  

Joining Our Simple Homestead Blog Hop #21

12 comments:

Mama Pea said...

You are just about the crafty-est, busy-est lady I know. And also most talented! I just love that Christmas tree ornament that is the basket with the yarn in it! So appropriate for a knitter.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, thanks! I went looking for some more tiny baskets, but so far have not found any. If I do, I'm going to make more.

Kim said...

All I got to say is WOW! That is quite a list you got there.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, I hope it gave you some ideas too. I am not sure about this year yet. I have some items made, but I'm also stumped on what to do for a few people. And of course time is a factor.

RB said...

Lots of great ideas for homemade gifts, IMO - the best gifts of all because they include a part of your time.
God bless.
RB
<><

Susan said...

This post is the BEST gift idea post I have ever seen! I would be thrilled to receive any of these gifts! You have given me so many ideas!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks RB

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Susan. Hopefully, folks will share new ideas too.

Sandra said...

Thanks for sharing your great ideas!!
I love the flour sack towels! I want to try some embroidery.
Thanks for sharing at Our Simple Homestead Hop!
I hope you join us again.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sandra, I hope to join again too. And hopefully others will share their gift ideas too.

https:/hootervillehomestead said...

Oh to have the time, love the ideas,

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Nancy