Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

A day in photographs. . .a barter



 Well, some of my day anyway.....morning starts with coffee.



Folded Saturday's towels I forgot about.  My "linen" closet is a vintage laundry basket.




A morning walk with Jesse.

Jesse walking himself.


Kale went into the dehydrator.

Organic broccoli went into the freezer.

Three loads of laundry went on the line.

. . . which prompted me to go inside and write down a list of things I need to crochet this winter.  I love my hand towels and washcloths I made.  By the way, I wrote to the chamber of where the yarn factory was located (from the label on the yarn I used), and it was sold to a Canadian Company.  I, so far, cannot locate the same yarn I bought a few years ago.


New hand towels went up.  I don't iron.   This towel is usually wrinkle free from wet hands by mid-day.

...and that was before breakfast.





Someday I won't have to do this.


Dinner prep.


 (should have had an organic greek yogurt, banana and a serving of veggies)


Hubby cleaned the coop for me.  Yay!  After he worked all day.

...and that's where I forgot to keep taking photos.  I had to walk Jesse again, get the laundry back down, get a bed made, dinner on the table, so you got part of the day anyway.

Dinner prep also included making a "can" of condensed mushroom soup.  I made homemade tuna and noodles, using organic ingredients, organic cauliflower was used to make Italian roasted cauliflower, and I added another side of sauteed asparagus.

Tonight's dinner?   I'm thawing some delicious blue gill that my older brother gifted us.  I'll have to think on what sides to make, but that part is decided on.

Speaking of fish, Hubby is putting in his "dream" thoughts to our homestead now.  Now that I'm pushing on the root cellar, he's considering a pond for stocking fish.

We have a few things going on this week that is putting the big barn project on hold, but for once, I am okay with that.

Good news!  I can give the remaining black walnuts to folks who want them.  The tree is still full of them.  Maybe a barter, but typically they go for free.  Why?  Hubby's co-worker grows English walnuts.  He's bartering with us - 2 full bags of their home grown walnuts for my home canned zucchini salsa (which you know is not something I like to give away), and some home canned jam.  These are the types of people I wish were my neighbors. 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a productive day! What kind of yarn did you use to crochet your towels and rags?

Kim said...

I never have enough time in my day either.

Sam I Am...... said...

It's a busy time of year but every day is busy when you're raising a family.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Robin, I used Honeysuckle Yarns, 2- ply, cotton, USA made, by Elmore-Pisgah Incorporated (Old Fort, NC). But they are no longer in business, and I am still looking for similar yarn. These are holding up well, and thinner, so they dry faster than 4 ply cotton.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, I just push the leftover to-do's into the next day.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, that is so true.

Anonymous said...

I mean was it cotten or acrylic?

Mama Pea said...

I love bartering! Also love this blog post with the pics showing what you did most of the day. Kinda makes me feel like I was there. Almost. :o]

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sorry Robin, I used 100% cotton

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, once the kids got home from school I got discombobulated, ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Kristina, thank you so much for replying!!! I had wrote my second comment before you replied so this one of yours was adequate :) Thank you again!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

You are welcome Robin.