Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, August 28, 2015

Extreme Clean ~ Stocking Up

Who knew what could be lurking in my desk drawer?  Ha ha!  Remember these?  Go ahead.  I dare you to clean out one drawer today, ha ha!

Cleaning has been prosperous.


Living a busy, self-sufficient life, can keep your house in disarray, that's for sure.  Especially with kids.





I recently found organic cornmeal and it is packaged in a plastic bag.  I am finally getting around to putting it in canning jars and in the fridge.  It's now labeled and dated.  To extend it's shelf life, half of it will also go into the freezer.  I use it for several dishes I make.

I've been reading a bit of this book on how to get the most out of what I stock up this winter.  My older brother and and his wife gave it to me.


The book covers many pantry items, including cornmeal. It's a quick reference book I keep in my kitchen.

It will be another day of cleaning and making something with  onions.  Most likely onion soup.


11 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

I am with you girlfriend! Cleaning is preposterous! LOL! I have a box of those discs. I was all into repurposing but right now I'm into clean and lean. The kitten has spread "stuff" all over and forced me to go through things I was postponing. I literally can't wait to get to my kitchen cupboards! LOL!
That book looks like a great reference. I'll be making some peanut butter cookies today. The butter is already softening. I have one more meal of my eggplant parmesan and then what? Not sure but I am trying to use what I have in the freezer so we'll see. I hope you get lots done today!

Mama Pea said...

I think I'm going to order that book from the library and give it a look-see. I simply love any and all info on putting food by and keeping a good stock on hand.

I may take your dare to clean out one drawer today. Oh, but wait! I don't have a drawer that needs it. HAHAHA! It's a good idea for a blog post . . . and to challenge other readers to do the same. Thanks for the idea and "push!"

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, peanut butter cookies sound so good right now.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, that is just not fair! No drawers in disarray or cluttered? You can always come help me and get it all done faster ha ha!

Mama Pea said...

I hope you didn't really take me seriously when I said (tongue in cheek) I didn't have a drawer that needed cleaning. Oh, but I do have a few, m'dear. Shall I post pictures? Maybe it will embarrass me enough to do something about them! ;o}

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I should take your challenge and clean out a drawer.
Kind of a mute point.
Why clean out a drawer when the flat surface above it is covered in papers!
I'm in a shredding mode.
That counts right?
I'm not organized right at the moment.
...and it feels a little bit unsettling.
I've got some free time this weekend-- and Im hoping to tackle some of the more obvious messes. ;)
Wish me LUCK!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, ha ha! I was about to hop in my car, drive to your place, just to mess up one drawer, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Patricia, go for it! I get unsettled when I see messes too, or I stumble on them when I open doors and drawers.

RB said...

Those disks might not be good for much anymore, but if you glue a piece of felt to the top, they'll make nice coasters. LOL
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, they would make nice Christmas tree ornaments for a computer enthusiast too, ha ha!

RB said...

I have a friend that has a small CHRISTmas tree in her kitchen that she decorates with miniature kitchen utensils...whisks, measuring cups, etc. It's real cute.
I think she gets them at Michaels or Benjamin Moore, in the doll house section.
God bless.
RB
<><