Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Porch Speaks ~ Baking Bread and other Tidbits

I thought I would take a few photos of this year's newest porch signs.  Hubby found a new hobby, ha ha!  Looks like I need to brush down spider webs too.


This one is pretty long, so he's running out of room.  I'm sure he'll find a way to squeeze a few more in.

The sign in the first photo is a daily reminder to the rain we are getting.  Monday started out with a bit of sunshine, but by noon the clouds turned black, and the rain was back. Tuesday the sun shined, so my muck boots and I took a trip to visit the garden.

This year the japanese beetles are terrible.  I have never had this problem before (in all the years here).  They are attacking my beets, peppers, green beans, etc.  Essentially, they are attacking everything.  Trying to stay ahead of them and the rain has been a mood killer. 
 
I attempted to weed the herb garden, but it too was too wet. By noon on Tuesday, the rain arrived again.    

It wasn't just rain this time.  It was a full blown, nasty, windy, thunderstorm.


The wind blew almost horizontally, knocking many potted plants on the porch, to the floor (and chair).  


And the corner of the big barn collapsed.  First the storm knocked the boards loose.


Then, that corner just fell.  It's a start to tearing it down anyway.  We are now getting rain so often, there is no time for anything to dry out

The cable company had a power outage after that, so we had no internet up until after dinner last night.  That's better than no electricity, so I didn't complain.


The Bad:  We lost 3/4 of the beet plants now, and 1/3rd of the green bean plants, all of the peas are gone, lost all of my basil, and the onions and cucumbers are sitting in standing water.  The brussel sprouts look awful.  It may be early to tell, but we may lose all 36 cauliflower plants.   

The Good:  Picked a few more squash, and a handful of green beans.


I hope to find some cucumbers locally.  However, the one guy we go to when we are in need, is also in standing water.  I hope the market has some things I can use.  Anyone in this area, growing a garden, is suffering like we are.




I completed another batch of noodles, and those are dried and in the freezer.   I also baked a few loaves of bread for sandwiches. 


We had breakfast for dinner one night.  I made homemade biscuits for biscuits and sausage gravy, scrambled farm fresh eggs, and fried garden red potatoes.  Not good for the hips, but oh so good!


I cut some more flowers for putting inside around the house. Good for the soul, mind, and the eyes.



14 comments:

Sandra said...

Sorry to hear about your garden losses. The rain just won't let up!
Love the signs :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sandra!

Kim said...

I know you count on all the garden you plant each year and this rain is really taking its tole. Sorry about that. But same over here and I am finding myself looking for recipes that would have been used during the depression. As things change we have to change with it. So our menus around here will reflect that.

Candy C. said...

Dang, that was a doozy of a storm! Sorry to hear about the gardening woes. I can't imagine how folks could ever feed a family just from the garden with all the weather variables involved...
Your flowers are very pretty, I should cut some of mine to bring inside and I absolutely LOVE your hubby's signs! Hope you get a chance to try the Raisin Bread recipe! :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, we are too (recipes). I am going through the freezer, and adapting to what I have. We were blessed with eggs from the chickens and a bit of potatoes from the garden. Be sure to post any good recipes you find. I know there are more people that could use them. Sorry you are drowning in rain too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Candy, I can't wait to try the bread recipe. Thank you so much.

Susan said...

The Japanese beetles are a plague here, as well. I do not remember ever having so many! I made a spray of ACV and water and sprayed everything in sight. It slightly burned the tops of the bean leaves, but it seems to have held them at bay for the moment. What a pity about your garden - it makes it so hard to put one in each year. Those of us who rely on growing our own food are a pretty resilient lot. Hope this constant deluge passes and you get some relief. Your bread looks so good!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, there must be something about water that draws the beetles in. I'm worried, that I can't get in there today to remove any. I sure hope they don't eat down the remaining green bean plants. I'll admit, I don't make homemade bread as often as I should, but I'm slowly getting it worked into my daily chores.

Jen said...

Sorry to hear about the storms and damage. Our area has been dealing with a bunch of flooding. Thankfully nothing major at our house. Praying this is the end of rain for a while. We are going to be in the mid to upper 80's all next week.

Have a blessed day!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jen, thank you! This year has been the strangest weather yet.

Mama Pea said...

The amount of rain you've been getting - so much for so long - is bordering on the unbelievable. When we got up this morning, the sky looked a little on the gray side but nothing too serious. Half hour later it POURED about as hard as I've seen it. Happily, it didn't last too long but everything out there is still wet now at 3:30 p.m. There is standing water in the "valleys" between my hilled up potato rows. Methinks the ground is saturated!

I love bringing flowers in the house, too, but none of mine in the garden have bloomed yet. Even the wildflowers seem slow this year. (Ha! They think it's still April!)

Your hubby's signs on the porch show he's still got a positive outlook. Humor is can be such a saving grace.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, your flowers think it's spring, and mine think it's fall already, ha ha! My mums are blooming, and they are my fall flower.

RB said...

Sorry to hear about the losses in the garden. Will make for a lean winter for some up there for sure.
But on the other hand, rain is a great time for baking and making comfort foods, things that usually don't happen in summer because they heat up the house.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, today I decided to clean more and deep clean. I filled 4 bags of garbage and 4 boxes to donate. And it dried up just enough for me to wash some blankets and a quilt.