Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, July 6, 2015

Lessons Learned

We spent the earlier part of the day working in the vegetable garden yesterday.  I took photos, but have yet to decide if I'll post them.  It's not pretty at all, but it is producing a few things.  Hence, the photo of the flowers in flower bed instead.

Hubby and I took one look, and we both let out a long breath of air.  Then he marched to the barn.  Out he came with the weed wacker, and went through many of the rows in the vegetable garden.  Since he took the tops off of a few onions, I dug those up for dinner too. I know it sounds like a crazy way to deal with the mess, but it worked.  We could get in there, weed out the plants themselves, and even till between rows.

Even after several years of planting, we have learned a few things this year.  We planted some rows too close together this year, so we can't get the tiller through.  We are making many notes, and ideas for next year, so we don't have to deal with weed overgrowth.  No matter what, I still think we learn something each year.


In the evening, we invited Mom over, and Hubby grilled out.  We had a nice dinner on the back porch, and enjoyed some garden bounty and family time.
 

8 comments:

Kim said...

I am so glad you are able to look at all of this in a positive way. Gardens.....it's a love hate relationship!

Mama Pea said...

I make garden notes all throughout the season . . . mostly on things I've done "wrong" and need to do differently next time around! That's the way we learn, I guess. There's no shame in showing the parts of your garden that didn't turn out perfectly. We all gain something from each other that way. I mentioned to you in your comment on my blog that I'm having a mini-disaster with my green pepper plants this year. I'll post about them soon. Sad, sad, sad.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, reading your blog motivates me to keep positive too. Thanks.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, you should see my green pepper plants, ha ha! Oh, they are worn, tattered, and tiny. I do see some new leaves, but I'll be watching to read your story about your own green peppers.

Connie said...

We have been having very hot weather and the weeds don't seem to mind even if the vegetables and flowers do. A week ago Sunday we had a day of 112 degrees . . . that's hot and it is wearing me out. I might just have to take the weed whacker to my garden, too. Thanks for the tip:)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Connie, it really saved us the time, considering the rain and no way to till for weeks and weeks. We are back up in the 80's here, but you have worse heat to work in. Yikes.

Sam I Am...... said...

I always thought of making strips of grass just wide enough for the mower in between each row.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, we leave about that much room, but some rows were crammed in this year, ha ha! I guess we were in a hurry.