Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Hen Update ~ Yard Work ~ Spring Blooms ~ New Recipe

We still have the hen that was/is eating her eggs.  I have just been too busy to even deal with it.

What I can tell you, is that my araucanas are less prone to lay eggs than my barred rocks.  The barred rocks are older and lay many more eggs.  I have four araucanas left, and three are in the coop with the rest.  I am getting only one egg from all three araucana hens, about every 4-5 days.

When it's time to buy more layers, I'll be looking at leghorns and/or more barred rocks.  Although the araucana chickens are pretty in color and lay a blue/green egg, I think I'll take the heartier chickens over them. 


Hubby spent Saturday mowing and trimming, while I enlisted the help of one the girls for weeding flower beds and the herb garden.  The others cleaned the inside.


That my friends, is one corner of my rose bed.  The grass has always been a problem in it.  I plan to top it with more mulch this year.



It's a good thing the inside was cleaned up.  Mom came out for a visit and we enjoyed a nice conversation on the porch.  That was after, of course, she got to visit the baby goats.


As Mom was leaving, I dug up and gifted her some of my homegrown green onions.  They are looking really good this time of year.


Hubby and finished more yard work.  I divided many of my all-yellow daffodils.



My lemon balm is spreading so I dug up some, and it has graced the herb rack for teas, bath teas, and other uses.  Had I known lemon balm would spread so quickly, and have roots like cement, I would have put it in a separate pot.

Anyway....  


Later, we decided we had worked long enough, and whipped up a dinner for grilling out.  Simply boneless chicken, camper potatoes, and a deviled egg pasta salad. Dessert was ice cold watermelon. 


The pasta salad recipe was a new recipe.  It required 12 precious eggs from the ladies to make, but we really liked it.  I found it in an insert that came with my last issue of Country Woman Magazine (Better Homes and Gardens insert). 

In the very last box that was sent to me from my Aunt (which was mailed to me by my wonderful Uncle after she passed away), was a copy of Country Woman.  After that I subscribed to the magazine.  Now when I read my issue I think of her, and my Uncle both.  And I take time to sit down and, with her advice, "take five minutes" for myself.

After dinner Hubby and I played cards on the porch, and enjoyed the remainder of the very nice evening.  The "remainder" was short, as we were bone tired and could only play one hand.


6 comments:

Debby Flowers said...

Your flowers are so beautiful! I also love your rustic herb drying rack. Spring is just a grand time of year!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Debby. I do need to make a second herb rack for more herbs this year.

My Garden Diaries said...

So glad you were able to make that amazing meal! You sure were busy! Loving your hanging herbs and that recipe looks outstanding! Oh...and glad you had a bit of time even if it was just one hand! Have a great week Kristina! Beautiful photos!!! Nicole xo

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Nicole, I have to hang the herbs high, so the cats won't get to them. I hope your week is great too.

RB said...

Sounds like a very busy weekend, and yeah, since one uses the eggs for food, best to get/keep the most productive ones to supply one's larder.

We often keep some homemade egg salad in the fridge during the summertime. With it already made, in only the time it takes to boil pasta or potatoes, with very few added ingredients, you can have a nice lunch or dinner salad.

The sentiment about your Aunt's magazine is very touching - a reminder of her now for years and years to come.

God bless.

RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I love to have boiled eggs on hand. I can toss them in a salad of greens.