Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Wild Bird and Tidbits


Our excitement yesterday, was a bird that fell down the chimney.  We got it out, but not without some screaming and a broom (that would be me).  It ended with our 18-year old taking it out with gloves on.  


It flew to the front yard, and immediately went searching for food.   It was some sort of black bird this time.  The last time it was a baby robin.

 
I awoke yesterday, to a non-working computer monitor. It was on the fritz.  It's old.
  

Since I had the early morning time to myself, I sipped hot coffee on the porch and read a bit before starting my day.


I did my morning chores later, and whatnot, and then decided to beat on the thing (the monitor).  My 18 year-old says, she won't be calling me for tech support when she is off at college. Ha ha!

I got it to work too. For the time being anyway.  My older brother saved me by bringing us another one.  Phew.  

I'm feeling much better now, so even though it's Sunday, we may be splitting some wood.  If the ground is dry enough anyway.  We still have huge pieces to tackle.


7 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

I know, I need to make a place where I can go sit outside and have coffee in the morning. I was outside all day yesterday cleaning up the yard, mowing and cleaning out the garage. It felt good and I'm not too sore this morning either! lol! So glad you got your pc to work again!

Liz said...

When I was growing up it seemed like we had a bird in our chimney/house once a month! Always made great excitement for our dog. We have wood that needs split too, but it looks like rain, darn!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Liz, it seems like the birds fall in, during spring. Funny it's happened to you too. I hope you get time to split your wood. Spring rain can delay a lot for us.

Mama Pea said...

Some years when I was growing up, my folks and other family members would rent a cottage on a lake for a week in the summer. One year we left home leaving the damper on the fireplace chimney open. A poor little bird flew down it and couldn't get back up, of course. When we got home, the bird was a goner but he had left "calling cards" ALL OVER the house. Mom was cleaning up bird poop found months later!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, that must have been a huge mess. I'm so glad we have a door on the stove. I never thought of that.

Lilac Cottage Homestead said...

The bird looks like a starling. I used to get chimney swifts in my basement, they would fly down the chimney and get stuck in the basement. Oh I love sitting on the pouch with a good book and a sweet tea. May the good Lord bless the rest of your day!!

Kelly

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Kelly, it was the first time seeing that sort of bird in the house.