Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Spring Weeds Anyone?

I'm starting to feel my muscles burn, after two days of kneeling to pull grass from the herb garden and rose bed.   That pile of grass all came form the oregano area of the herb garden.  For the last seven years, I never had this many weeds in it. Yesterday it was a bit too chilly to have porch time, so I worked inside later.  The ground is still too wet to walk in any garden, and we are to get more rain this week (and next week).  I'll have to shuffle the "to-do" list again.
I have plenty of work, that's for sure.  And I don't want to be too eager to get out there on a regular basis either.  The summer heat will be upon us too soon, so I do want to enjoy the spring weather.

 I could always sit and work on the rest of the chair cushions too.  Last night, after embroidering one hand towel for Oldest Daughter's friends, I just about finished another placemat.
 
Is this Ground Ivy or Purple dead-nettle?

To me it looks like Purple dead-nettle.

I have this weed taking over the vegetable garden.  I could not find this plant in my Foraging books, so I dug a bit deeper and sent out emails inquiring.  Would it make a healthy tea? And what would the benefits be?

Carolyn (Krazo Acres) mentioned this weed too.

 Here is another photo that shows the stem better:

I found a recipe for a smoothie, but I'd rather make a tea if it's worthy.  When I was taking photos of this one, Oldest Daughter said, "Mom you're weird."

18 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I got out yesterday and did some random spading fork work in my raised beds where the dreaded quack grass was starting to show it's (not so lovely) green shoots. When I was done I could really feel my unused muscles yelling but, happily, this morning I'm not stiff. Sure thought I would be!

I admire your ever-inquiring mind as to how you can use nature's gifts. You go, girl.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I thought I'd be stiff today too, but I'm feeling pretty good. I am sending the photos to our wildlife contact to see of I'm correct on the plant (before consuming it).

Susan said...

I have a ton of this stuff, too. Hopefully, our Queen of Weeds (Carolyn) will be able to help us out.

Michelle said...

My poor husbands hips were killing him last night. He spent all day Monday cutting down weeds on our property. We have 3/4 of an area and unfortunately most of it is weeds. We live in California where weeds have found their utopia. Add that we are on water restrictions and it's paradise for them.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I am hoping Carolyn can help us out in identifying this.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Michelle, we are moving our buck to the back pasture soon, so he can clear our weeds for us. He's eager to be moved anyway.

Candy C. said...

I'm stumped on your weed, hope Carolyn can help. I pulled Bermuda grass out of my garden beds the other day and my back was NOT happy about it! LOL!!

Liz said...

Still to wet to get in the garden. Trying to work around some flower beds. But it sure feels like spring is here!
(fingers crossed)

HeatherD76 said...

I had to shovel snow out of our garden beds. Only parts of the yard that still had snow on them. I have a ton of weeds to get out too, most were from last summer. Weeds were bad for us then.

Oh my son thinks I am weird too when I take pictures of random things. I've caught him doing the same thing before though lol.

Debby Flowers said...

You do such a nice job with your photography! I've gotten the "mom, you are so weird" comment a time or two myself! Sometimes we think our kids are pretty weird, but we don't dare say so for fear of doing any emotional damage... but they sure don't worry about saying that to us!
Nice job on the weeds... I have this problem out in the rhubarb and strawberries that I need to get at. Maybe this weekend. I do enjoy my job but it does take away from my garden time. Have a great day!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Candy, my garlic is being taken over by this weed, so I hope I find out if it's useful before I start pulling. My muscles ache today, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Liz, I'm doing the same thing - weeding around the edges until it dries up.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Heather, my my gosh, snow? We are getting more rain today here.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Debby, I try to get a photo for each blog post, but some days I don't.

RB said...

From a Google search of deadnettle, I do believe that plant is a red or purple deadnettle also called henbit, and called deadnettle because it doesn't sting.

A good picture of the blossom is here: http://www.msuturfweeds.net/images/galleries/lampu/4.jpg
And it sure looks like the same blossom on what you have pictured.

It IS edible, and there's good information on doing that here: http://firstways.com/2011/02/17/purple-dead-nettle-a-weed-good-to-eat/
It says it's part of the mild mint family though has a slightly musty flavor which makes it perfect for smoothies and teas, though some have used it for pesto too, if well blended. The blossoms themselves are sweet so I bet they'd make a good tea if you had enough of them.

There's more about it here: http://eatingmymoccasinsnow.blogspot.com/2009/02/dead-nettle-lamium-purpureum.html

God bless.

RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, thanks for all those links. The flowers are so tiny too.

Carolyn said...

That is Purple Dead Nettle. Henbit looks very close, but is a different plant entirely. I've seen someplace on the internet that someone used P.D.N. as a tea for allergies, but I think that they may have meant Stinging Nettle as I know that IS used for allergies. You can eat it raw or cooked, but doesn't taste like much of anything, and honestly, I prefer henbit for culinary use. Neither really have any taste, but if you're jonesing for early spring greens, at least that is up now. I use it in scrambled eggs (both henbit and dead nettle), but haven't tried the tea yet.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Carolyn. I have a ton of it, and we have not tilled yet. I have it all around my garlic this year too. I think I'll need another drying rack for tea making. I just may have to see if I have henbit out there for eggs too. Or the nettle.