Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, March 13, 2015

Vet Visit and Other Tidbits


Jesse had his assessment with the vet.  It appears that we do not need to remove the fatty tumor (just yet).  It's in his groin area, so there is concern that it makes him feel like he has to go, but doesn't. 

Just to be sure he doesn't have a urinary infection, we do need to get it tested to rule that out.  The last time we took him to get his rabies shot, he swelled up like a balloon.  This time (thankfully), he did not.  


Unless the tumor starts to grow too fast and too big, surgery can be delayed.  The poor guy was super stressed out on the ride there, and he typically is not.   

It was high time to make a batch of homemade hot chocolate.  The chill in the air yesterday caused me to dress in three layers. 

Someone did me a favor, and hit the raccoon (sparing you the picture).  It's smack in front of my driveway, out in the center of the country highway.  You'd think vultures would have it by now, but nope.  I was excited he was gone, but guess what else we have?   Two more raccoons living in the big barn.  Guess I'll be dealing with that this weekend.  

The rest of the week, I am cleaning up around here.  My "candle-light dinner" table is scattered with a sewing machine, craft patterns, and magazines.  It's time to spruce up and put things back in place.

We are closing in on kidding time.  We think Peanut will have two.  I have all our kidding supplies ready, except nipples (in case we need them).  I like Hoegger, but they are the slowest shippers in the states.  I hope they get here in time.  The last thing for us to make is a bucket of homemade goat wipes.   Then we wait for the little cuties to start popping out.




10 comments:

Liz said...

I can always tell when there is something dead on our road by the vultures! Kidding time always sounds so exciting, but nerve racking also!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Liz, it can be for me. I'm doing it alone this season. So I'm praying everything goes smoothly.

Susan said...

Sound like you are as ready as you can be. I hope it goes smooth as silk for you -- and can't wait to see pictures! I have the "Predator Path" for carcass removal at my place.

Michelle said...

Can't wait to see picture of the new kidds.
The vet told me the same thing on my cat. Since hers was by her mouth that if it got any bigger they would have to do surgery. That was 2 years ago. It didn't get bigger ,it even got a little smaller. Hope your as lucky. Vet bills can add up.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan and Michelle, I will post photos as soon as they are born.

Sam I Am...... said...

I live in a retirement town so we have LOTS of vultures here all the time! LOL!
Hope the dog gets better.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, as of today (Saturday) no vultures. Strange.

RB said...

Sounds like Spring is springing, there and most everywhere in the US (we hope, unless Mother Nature pulls a trick on us).

Here in NC, the daffodils are popping and there are buds on the oak trees.

God bless.

RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, someone recently told me if March comes in like a lion, it goes out like a lamb. Let's hope.

RB said...

My sisters and I keep reminding ourselves of that (March in like a lion). We'll see, won't we.
God bless.
RB
<><