Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, March 12, 2015

It Begins ~ Rhubarb ~ Recycled Vintage Coffee Filter


Canning season started early for me this year (giddy excitement).  I canned jelly yesterday.  

This was the first time canning with my new stove.  It heats up much faster.  I wanted to get a feel for it, before I start canning fruit jams, which tend to be the beginning of my yearly canning.


Every year, I lose a rhubarb plant, and last year had to re-plant again.    Hubby said he would build me a raised bed this spring, just for rhubarb.

Eating Well magazine has a few recipes I would love to try also.

We have made rhubarb BBQ sauce in the past,  and it was delicious.

I found a packet of seeds (rhubarb) in my seed container, so I'm starting those.   Hopefully, the cats will leave it alone.  One of these days, Hubby will get my green house built for me.  I'm not bugging him yet.  I want the root cellar first.



 (before)


 After

I fixed up my porch sign.  Hopefully, it will last another year.  I do have to take it down during windy tornado weather.  It's kind of at the edge of the porch.



The kids are enjoying the convenience of cotton balls and q-tips at the sink now.  This actually helps keep their sink a bit more organized.



I gifted my hairdresser a knitted dishcloth.  I used the smallest of my scrap yarns to tie a bow around it.  It appears, I need to re-stock my knitted dishcloths next. 

10 comments:

Susan said...

I love the idea of pickled rhubarb, as I have tons of it and would like some new ways to use it. I will see if I can find that recipe online. What a clever (and attractive) use for that old coffee filter! Genius! I need to re-stock my knitted dishcloths, too. It's my favorite 'in between' knitting.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I thought pickled rhubarb would be excellent on salads.

Mama Pea said...

Well, horse feathers! I can't get two of your pictures to come in today. :o(

My rhubarb has been in a raised bed for round about 18 years and is gigantic! Can't wait for it to peek through this year.

How'd your haircut turn out? Are you happy with it?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I feel 10 lbs. lighter. I got about 9-10 inches cut off. I'm not sure if I like the style yet, but I like the length much better.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I don't think I've ever had rhubarb- pickled or otherwise!
The repurpose coffee filter is so neat!
And I make cloths in between times-- busy work during baseball season!
I watch the Texas Rangers and crochet!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Patricia, I made a rhubarb bbq sauce and it was delicious. I still want to try rhubarb chutney too.

RB said...

Such cute, useful, simple and inexpensive ideas, both for gifts and for personal use.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks RB, the kids thought it was "cool."

Sam I Am...... said...

What a great idea for the coffee filter! I need to restock my dishcloths too. I tried rhubarb here in AR and it was specifically for AR but it died out.
Jam and pickled sounds good.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, last year I had to buy rhubarb (same with this year). I hope to get it growing much better this year.