Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Hay Day and a "to-do" List ~ Porch Prep

We restocked the hay yesterday.  It makes a person wonder where they got the saying "having a hay day" from.  Hauling hay is not loose fun.  

The truck is back from repairs and in tip top shape now.  That's good, because we may need to pick up wood soon.  Another tree was offered to us.

What else was on the "to-do" list?



The chickens were not happy yesterday.  The sun did not shine, and mean ol' me made them go outside to give the coop a good cleaning.   It was cold and cloudy.  I think it was about 29°F around 2pm.



As soon as the blueberry/whole wheat/applesauce (made with homemade applesauce) muffins came out of the oven, I went out and let the chickens back inside to warm up.  But figured since I was already suited up, I'd bring more wood up to the house.  Snow was expected.   And snow eventually arrived. The kids were right about "we always get snow the last week of March."

Once back inside, I remembered I had a package to mail to Son.  This time I included homemade hot chocolate.  When I got back from the post office, the minute I walked in, the washer beeped.  It was a typical busy work day.

Brr!  Who ordered this cold weather anyway?  


 Porch preparation!  A new pillow for my front porch rocker.



6 comments:

M.E. Masterson said...

Sounds familiar! Ps. Like the pillow!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Cute pillow-
I wonder about idioms too.
Just yesterday I told someone I was at my jumping off point -- they thought I was at my wits end and frustrated. But no. I was describing being ready to spring into action! I
Should spring into action more often-- maybe that would make things crystal clear!

Glad the truck is running and you have it back- and an opportunity to get wood! Also your muffins sound delish!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

M.E., thanks! The pillow is actually a cover that I can remove and wash too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Patricia, the muffin recipe is from allrecipes. Delicious.

RB said...

Funny pillow. Our chickens never minded the snow much. Depended on how deep it got, of course.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, my chickens are okay with a little bit of snow, but get confused when they get into deep snow. They just stand there waiting to be rescued, ha ha!