Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, March 20, 2015

Handiwork Developments ~ New Fruit Plants on the Homestead



The weather is a bit cooler, so I'm tackling the last of the handiwork "to-do" list.  Remember my netting?  It's next, and last on my old list.  There is a new list (new projects) emerging.  Isn't there always a new one?

I finished crocheting the 192 yellow and pink flowers for the baby blanket, and have already started to work on the actual granny squares.   That means 192 granny squares when I am finished.

The new list (while the baby blanket progresses)? 
Washcloths, a few more hand towels, dishcloths, dish scrubbies, and hope chest items for the girls.  Maybe some pillows with scraps like I made Mom, and I'm looking at patterns now for seat cushions for our wooden kitchen chairs.  I need some doilies too, but I think the seat cushions will be next. 

Two years ago, I started making these granny square charms for necklaces, and keychains (various colors and sizes).



Then I found a way to finish them with a sturdy nice edging, and added a matching bookmark.  I would like to make a few more of these sets too.  These smaller projects are nice to take to the porch and along on road trips.



Two years ago, I also crocheted a Caroline Ingall's shawl.  I've since lost weight, so making myself another one is on the list too.  Then again I need to lose more, so maybe I'll wait until fall for this one.

A woman can dream right?


We always feel a sense of accomplishment every year we add something new to the homestead.

I purchased two more new red raspberry plants (I may buy two more yet), and new concord grape plants.

Hubby got right to work, and headed to the hardware store.  Posts, concrete, wire and eye screws are all ready for building my grape arbor.  We are just waiting for a break in the weather to get it done.

We've made a list of what we can use much of the old big barn wood for, including recycling a large door for one of the other barns.  I need to make another herb rack too, so I'm checking my recycle supplies for what to use for hooks.  We are talking about keeping a good amount of it to build a garden shed.  We already have a recycled sturdy (from a past home) door to use for our root cellar.  I'd like to see some of the wood used to replace a few loft boards in the chicken/goat barn too.  Hubby wants to use some of the untreated wood for raised beds, and make a much larger strawberry bed.

As for the trash can project, Hubby finished the trim, and slide rail.  I just have to paint the cupboard piece, add the hinges, and hardware.  

Then it's onto the next item on the list.  Depending on weather, that is.



12 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Isn't it fun to never be lacking in ideas? (Or, ha!, things that need to be done!) I've always marveled at people who say their time drags or that they have trouble filling their days. (When I hear someone say that, I'm always tempted to say, "Come to my house. I'll give you a list!") :o]

Susan said...

I wish I had half the oomph that you and your husband have! I love those granny square charms, they are darling!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

We have similar interests... hookin, gardening, project lists. so much to do!
I don't get to crochet while riding anymore, as I do most of the driving now. But I do carry some small something so I can keep my hands busy while waiting or even visiting!
The little granny squares are pretty!

My Garden Diaries said...

You guys have been rocking it! I can't wait to see your raspberry plants! And those keychains are awesome! Good luck with all the projects friend and have a great weekend! Nicole xo

RB said...

Before our Mother had half a dozen children, she crocheted quite a bit, even selling some of her more intricate crocheted counterpanes to a local department store for a time. One of her projects was Granny Square hot pads for protecting counter and table tops from hot pots and hot dishes. I think I still have one that's yellow and green. They were about 8-10" square and were made of a thicker yarn similar weight to rug yarn.

Seeing the keyring on the lavender Granny Square below made me think how pretty these would also be as kitchen decor if made in colors that coordinate with people's kitchens - so they'd be dual purpose, as hot pads and as decoration, plus they'd be washable, and if hung on the wall, you wouldn't need to find storage for them between uses. Bet those could be made and sold easily too.

God bless.

RB
<><

M.E. Masterson said...

I am glad to see someone else gets happy about the little things. Makes me smile!!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I think I may have said that a time or two, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, my oomph soon wears out if I don't get breaks from time to time.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Patricia, we do have the same interests. I love to have a project for road trips and appointments.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Nicole, the two plants we has last year, died off from not being here to water them. We did get a raspberry on one the first year too. I have to replant, and may get more.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I often think of color coordinating when I'm crocheting, but time gets the best of me some weeks.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

M.E., I'm glad I'm not the only one (happy moments).