Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Red Moon ~ Lunar Eclipse


Thanks to my older brother, I was able to get photos of the moon this morning.  Did you know today (Oct. 8, 2014) it would be red and there would be a total lunar eclipse?



I had the kids go out and take a look.  Some days the sun is up just as they get on the school bus and pull out.  Very neat stuff anyway, and wanted to share.

That's about all I have to blog about today that is interesting.  Cleaning house is not interesting unless you find something you forgot you had, right?

I almost did not get to blog today.  I had an episode with the keyboard, and putting new batteries in, did not work.  We are up and running, as you can see.

It rained all day yesterday.  Again.  I went out to put my chickens back in the coop in the evening, and they were so happy catching worms, they didn't want to go back in yet, ha ha!  I had to trick 'em with a treat, to put them away for the night. 

It's more cleaning today, and I have to admit, I feel lost without my zoom-zoom, up at the crack of dawn, canning all day routine.  I think I'll have to can some jelly just to get my "fix" this week.  I'm trying to get used to the new change of chores, but the rain kept us from wood splitting.  Most of my list required going outdoors too.   
 
This is the season where I do a lot of baking too.  The family has gobbled down the banana bread, and they are down to the last two granola bars already.  I may need to flip through the cookbook and see what else I can make to supplement lunch packings.  

Today I am thankful for:
~ a working keyboard 
~ skype (keeping in touch with the kids)
~ my camera
~ my family, extended family, parents
~ my Bible
~ God's Love
~ pen and paper
~ warm slippers
~ our chickens and the eggs they provide
~ rain, so I can pull those pesky weeds and dead plants
 
 

5 comments:

Sandra said...

I had no clue it was a Lunar Eclipse, I wish I had grabbed some photos too. Love yours though, so pretty. :)

Great thankful list too!

Susan said...

As is always the case, it seems, the weather interferes with my celestial viewing. It rained from 3A to 7A. Boo.

Unknown said...

Yes I knew it was coming, but was not up to getting up at 4 a.m. to watch on a work day! Traditionally blood moons are a REALLY bad omen :(

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Interesting enough, I found 88 Bible verses about a blood red moon.

Sam I Am...... said...

Beautiful pictures! Those are the best I've seen. Even the ones on the news weren't that good!