Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Possibilities

After reading a post on another blog, I remembered taking a dutch oven cooking class with my oldest daughter and best friend from high school.  That was April of 2011.  I haven't really done anything that exciting since then either.



Although I do have many cookbooks, I have not broadened my "horizons" so to speak, as to investing in the equipment to dutch oven cook at campgrounds.  



In September of 2011 we participated in a chili cook off, and cooked our chili in cast iron, and over the campfire.  Not one person there did.  We lacked "fire" in our chili, so we did not win, but we had a lot of fun.


The same weekend the entire campground had a "scarecrow" contest.  We won that!  We had to use what we had on hand.  We stuffed her with tall grass.






So, I took a stroll down memory lane, and asked myself, "why have I not done anything crazy, out-of-the-box, exciting, or just plain spontaneous?"  With Hubby or with the kids?  Or just by myself?


Life can do that to us.  We get caught up with school activities, work schedules, getting sick, unexpected breakdowns and repairs, interruptions, massive list of to-do's and so forth. 

I feel like are summer went way too fast this year.  


Something new?  Every year I try something new, make something new, or learn something new.  So what's on the new list?   Hmm.  Not quite sure, but I need to work on filling up my possibilities book with some ideas.

Sharing something a dear friend emailed me:

Quote: "Today may there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others. May you use the gifts that you have received and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself just the way you are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us."

3 comments:

Mama Pea said...

A lovely, thought-provoking post! I'll be mulling it over in my mind while hubby and I tackle the cleaning, sorting and reorganization of our main storage building!

Susan said...

A very thought-provoking post. And so true for most of us. It is so easy to get caught up in the daily grind. I have spinning on my 'learn something new list' this winter. I hope I can carve out the time.

Sam I Am...... said...

I love that quote! I copied it to send to my children and to post to remind myself.
I love your graphic journals. I started one years ago. I should do that again.