Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Garden and Porch Time


I spent about three hours pulling monstrous size weeds from the garden, just so I could get to the potatoes.  Mission somewhat accomplished.  I have about six feet left to dig up yet.  There is nothing worse than leaning down to pull a weed, only to be poked in the eye by five foot foxtail.  Ouch!  And the kids thought they'd get to eat at the table this week, ha ha!  Not.  That photo only shows a portion of them.  My goal is to get all of them dug up before I even start canning the rest.

I weeded in between the peppers and green beans (beans are drying on the plants for next year's seeds) and discovered more green and red bell peppers.  Yay! 

Soaked and drenched with sweat by 11am, I stopped, stripped my mud/sweat covered clothes and did a load of wash.  I have to be smart and get the yuck off after I am done, due to my allergies.  
 


Breakfast was for dinner  - veggie omelets.  I have more hot peppers too.  After I got all the veggies cooking, Hubby sent me to the porch to relax while he cracked the eggs.  We were out there after dinner for about a hour, and two farm combines passed us.  The corn dust flew like a dust storm.  I didn't think anything of it, until I got ready for bed and saw my red, bloodshot eyes.  Ugh.  I'll have to remember to take my allergy remedy regularly this time of year.  

That is Ava (I think).  I was out taking photographs for Daughter in GA.  I plan to get some photos developed to send her (and Son).  It looks like Ava has a horn, but that is Peanut standing behind her.  I think Ava wanted to snack on my camera, ha ha!

Well, the sun is almost up, and I am already behind in today's chores and list of "to-do's."    I've got two lists now.  One for winter prep that has dollar signs hovering (and stressing me out) over it, and one with the top priorities of the day.  Housework chores are simply done when I can get them done (here and there and in between).  However, I always make room for "porch time" in every day's work.  I'm following my Aunt's advice.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I agree, porch time is a must.

My Garden Diaries said...

Look at all of those potatoes! Man you are awesome! I love hearing about your harvests! Wishing you a wonderful weekend friend....and love that shot of Ava! Nicole xoxo

RB said...

Our Dad tried very hard to keep enough room between all the rows of crops to fit the tiller through. That way we only really had to weed between the plants instead of between the rows.

I love porch time too. Our old house had a nice large one we sat on daily, liking to take our morning coffee out there, but our new one just has a covered stoop, large enough to catch dirt, dust and spiders, but too small to sit out on.

God bless.

RB
<><