One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Homemade Goat's Milk Cream Cheese ~ Whey

(photo of them very young)

Bonnie and Ava are still not sold (the two doelings), but even so, we are getting some goat's milk.  I hopped on the computer and ordered myself some non-gmo vegetable rennet, and waited patiently for it to arrive.

What did I make?

Although I got scolded by the goat's milk police for stealing 4 1/2 quarts of stashed goat's milk a while ago, I wanted to make something new this year.

I made goat's milk cream cheese (recipe I used is linked).  Yum.  It's draining today, so we can't wait to taste it. I did use the buttermilk too.

(Update:  7/2/14, if you make this recipe, using buttermilk is risky and I am ordering the culture to make the next batch.  I would not recommend using the buttermilk.)

Immediately, my daughter (the goat care-taker) asked if she could make strawberry cream cheese.  Well, of course she can.  Yum!

This batch of cream cheese should give me about 2 cups of whey.  I see, from searching the internet, that you can put some of it in lemonade to drink (for a probiotic drink).  What do you do with your whey?  I'd love some ideas. 

Our milk supply is caught up now, so I'm actually being told to make a batch of ricotta cheese.  Mmmm.  Can't wait to make a lasagna or something.

It's a busy week and we got more rain last night.  More later....



4 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

I don't have goat's milk or whey so I guess I won't be doing much in that arena but I'm making pickles...does that count?

Susan said...

Oh, that sounds wonderful! I use whey for smoothies and it makes the best rice and polenta. I also use it as a substitute for water in alot of recipes.

Kristina said...

Susan, thanks for the tips on whey. I may freeze it to use for making rice next time.

Sam I Am, Pickles sound great! Our cucumbers are not ready yet.

Nancy Jo said...


Oh they are so cute. I bet you will miss them when they are sold.
Nancy Jo