Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, July 7, 2014

Fridge Fizzled Out . . .

Although Saturday was a good day, Sunday was not.

First I woke up to a warm refrigerator.  I thought the kids had left a door open all night (bad seals on it, and if one door is shut, the other pops open), but by 4pm we realized the fridge was fizzling out.  Gone.  Pa-toot.  The blasted thing stopped working. 


Not a good day for any of us.  We were invited to a grand re-opening of a nearby church, but did not go to the service.  we could not leave the home empty on account of the noisy/reckless mud bog business that was at it again.  Again, running without the required permit. 

And then there was the situation with the fridge.

In a rush we took all the important meat out of the freezer and took it to extended family temporarily.  We have a smaller fridge where we keep the goat's milk, where I drain the ricotta, etc.  We put what we could in that fridge and sadly, the rest went into the trash.

First the mower, now this?

When my blood pressure returns to normal, and my headache subsides, I'll try to post a more joyous post.



6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Ooof! You're right; your Sunday was not a good day. Hope the refridge was an old one . . . or if not, there's a guarantee on it. The darn things are expensive to replace.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea,
It was an old one. We were also hit by lightning last year, which may have shortened it's life. We lost our 5 year old ($200.00) microwave as well (and not yet replaced). It's definitely put us in a "pickle" so to speak.

Susan said...

Oh, Kristina! That is such a pain!! And it's not cheap to buy a good fridge these days - AND they don't last an iota of the time the old ones did. Hope the electronic jinx is now over! And what's with these yahoos in the mud bog?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, we have not had our township meeting, in which this guy is to apply for a permit to open such a business. Last night a Deputy Sheriff talked to him, and he told the Sheriff he had permits and insurance. He can't get the permit without landowners and homeowners who live adjacent, attending such a meeting. So, now the prosecutor is involved. I was told he'd get charged $500/day for every day he ran it without getting a permit. Time will tell.

Sam I Am...... said...

Sorry you are having such troubles. My frig does the same as it is very old so I hope this isn't a sign that mine is getting ready....although I really couldn't blame it...it is REALLY old. I have a perfectly good microwave that I paid $25.00 for at Walmart and it's lasted for 10 years so far. $200.00 for a microwave? Was it made with gold parts? I didn't even know they sold microwaves that expensive.
I need a new stove top and new glasses.....LOL! You're not alone!

Katmom said...

Uugh! what a bummer! we had this happen to our deep freezer.... and yep, we had a freezer of 1/2 thawed frozen foods and meats... dang it!
But I always tell my self, it could be worse!
Hugz and hang in there...infact I thinks it's time to go smell the Daisies or wildflowers,,,
hugz