Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Time for Teriyaki . . .



With some fresh cut broccoli, and sugar snap peas, I thought it would be a perfect time to make a chicken stir fry (over organic brown rice).  I whipped up a batch of homemade teriyaki sauce for it.  And there really is organic soy sauce.  Check for it in the organic section of your store, or near the regular soy sauce.  Not all stores carry it.  

Also, I use one brand (Wholesome Sweeteners) of light corn syrup that does not contain high fructose corn syrup.  It is organic and non-gmo verified.  I do have to order it online from a healthy living store.  Our stores here do not carry it. 
Here is the recipe link if you are interested:  Homemade Teriyaki Sauce 

As for the sauce, a little goes a long way for flavor.  If you make it, use a little, taste, and then add if necessary.   It's always a winner dinner in our home.  Everyone loves it.

I just made the deadline for a recent article.  I felt horrible I turned it in directly on the deadline date.  I never do that.  I am always prepared and on top of things.  I am pretty sure I won't be blogging every day in July.  Sorry guys, but I think I'll be in the garden and kitchen more too.

Last night I sweltered it out, and picked more berries.  My canning days are about to start real soon.

In case you are wondering, "stalker" guy did pay us a visit again yesterday.  This time it was around 3pm, and with his truck, driving real slow and almost stopping at the north property markers.  He then continued past the entire property very slowly.   He turned around down the road and passed by again, then back to his house.  It's as if we cannot leave our home empty.  Ever.  

Document, film, photograph......something must have been done recently too.  Last Sunday we watched a truck and trailer haul his bulldozer out and away, with him following.  Hmm.  The Hubs will make some calls and see if anything is or was being done about this.  

Well, I'm heading back out to the garden today. First a chicken is going in the roasting pan.  The Hubs went golfing with his co-workers.  They do this once a year, and he's never gone until this year.  He's never golfed either.  I would have loved to tag along an film it, ha ha!  I'm sure I'll hear how it went later this afternoon.



 


5 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm not blogging everyday in July either there is too much to do around here (:
I hope someone is shutting down your neighbors operation. What a creep!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I just made stir fry venison and broccoli last night. Not Teriyaki...but like beef and broccoli. It was good. I didn't serve it with noodle or rice as I'm cutting the carbs-- I was glad there was enough, because we all 3 filled up on broccoli, venison and carrots. No left overs...but it was so good!
Hope since the bulldozer is gone that means it won't be long before the 'neighbors' are gone too.
Hang in there.
We're not golfers-- we just like to swat the ball as hard and as far as we can!
Pat

EMMA said...

I'd love to try this - we have delicious little mange-tout in the garden at the moment - but we most definitely can't get corn syrup here (what is it, by the way)- would honey work instead?
Hope you get all this trouble with your neighbors sorted soon, they sound like they are going out of their way to be very horrible!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Honey might work. Corn syrup is a thick sugary syrup. It's what we use to make hard candy at Christmas time. I might even try making it with honey next time.

RB said...

As a diabetic, one thing we've started using at our home recently in some recipes is agave syrup. It's a good substitute for some of the corn syrups, etc., but the body uses it slowly which avoids sugar spikes. It's especially good when used to sweeten salad dressings, etc. - any place you'd use corn syrup or other liquid sweeteners I think.

Another thing I've started using on my french toast (which I LOVE), pancakes, bagels, toast, etc., is no-sugar-added jams and jellies, that have been sweetened with Splenda. Smucker's has a line that's pretty good. They're not entirely sugar free because there is natural sugar in the fruit itself, but they are much better for diabetics than conventional jams and jellies.

So if sugar is a nemesis for you, you might keep the agave and the no-sugar-added jams and jellies in mind.

God bless.

RB
<><