Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Steel Cut Oat Patties


When I my oldest daughter asked me for the recipe to make my steel cut oat patties, I had to think about when I last made them.  I also had to remember where my recipe was.

Then, certain that I had posted it on my blog, I spent the day searching for it.  

Nope.  I did not blog about it.



So, today you are graced with yet another steel cut out recipe.  To make these, you will need to prepare the oats one day prior to frying them into patties.




Heat your skillet between low and medium heat. If you are using a cast iron pan, you should not have to heat your pan higher than medium.

Add about 2 Tbsp. of olive oil to your skillet. Let the oil heat thoroughly.

When the oil in your pan is heated, measure 1 cup of dry, room temperature steel cut oats. Pour them into the warm oil and toast the oats. This should only take a few minutes. They will become golden in color.

After the oats are toasted thoroughly, add 2 cups of water and 2 cups of chicken broth (I use homemade or organic, non-gmo). Stir and bring to a boil. Once it boils, move onto the next step. Note:  I doubled the recipe (for my family size) and used a 12 inch cast iron pan.

Stir and reduce heat to lowest setting such as simmer. Cover with a lid and let oats continue to cook for 1 hour. Do not stir during this 1 hour of cooking time.

After 1 hour, remove lid. If there is still liquid, cook a bit longer. Otherwise, turn off the heat, and let mixture sit on the same burner until cooled completely.

After your oats have cooled completely, scoop them into a container and seal with an airtight lid. Place in the refrigerator overnight.



To cook the oats the next day, scoop a small portion (about 2 Tbsp.) into a skillet heated with a bit of non-gmo canola oil.  Keep your patties about the size of 2 - inches in diameter for easy turning, and cook the patties on a medium to lower heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let cook until the first side has a golden toasted bottom, then turn once to cook the other side. This may take longer than your traditional potato patties, so be prepared to have ample time. Cooked patties may be stored in the refrigerator and reheated easily.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Baking in Mason Jar Lids?
Sharing a link to making pies in your abundance of lids:  Mennonite Girls Can Cook.  I love this idea! 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

Well, this is a relief. I mean, the steel cut oat PATTIES. At first glance, I thought it said "panties".
Whew!
:)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carolyn, you made me bust out laughing! Ha ha ha!

RB said...

Reminds me of hoe cakes which the poor in the US South once cooked on hoes or shovels they'd heated in an open fire.
Also in ancient times in Scotland shepherds and warriors often carried cast iron griddles tied in their clothing that they'd put over open fires to cook what was called "oat cakes" on them when out in the fields and woods, and I suppose their wives made them in their homes too cause they were frugal yet filling fare.

God bless.

RB
<><

RB said...

"panties" - hee hee

RB said...

One of our sisters responded with this when I shared your recipe with her.

"Reminded me that I used to make an oatmeal pie. It looked like pecan pie. I called for crumbled sausage on top and the kids would eat it in the morning with syrup. Haven't made that is quite awhile!"

Sounds like an interesting "stick to your ribs" meal.

God bless.

RB
<><

darlenelovesart said...

That was funnie, panties, funnie
This looks like a great recipe to use oat meal with. I shall have to try it.
Thanks Kristie.