Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Mexican Chicken


Years ago, we discovered a recipe that was a family favorite.  However, it contains three cans of condensed cream of chicken soup and one of celery soup.  Needless to day, I have not made it in many, many years.


Yesterday I made the recipe, and used homemade soups, organic chicken, and organic tortilla chips (which were made with non-gmo oils, believe it or not).  It took a few days to make my soups ahead of time, but it was worth it. 

Here is the recipe.  

Again, I substituted the "cans" of soup with homemade.


Mexican Chicken
3 lbs. chicken, cooked, and shredded or diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 pkg. taco seasoning* or homemade
3 cans condensed cream of chicken soup, or homemade
1 can condensed cream of celery soup, or homemade
1 med. pkg. tortilla chips
1 small can green chilies, chopped
*Optional:  sour cream 

Brown diced onion in olive oil over low heat.  What onion is browing, combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl, crushing the tortilla chips into it.  Add browned onions.  Stir. Pour into 9 x 13  inch baking dish (I prepared my dish with a bit of olive oil).  Sprinkle cheese on top.  Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until cheese melts and bubbles.

Note:  I do not use the packaged taco mix.  I make mine from scratch and I used that in my recipe. For a "medium pkg." of tortilla chips, I estimate about a 10-12 oz. bag of chips when using 3 "cans" of cream of chicken soup.  Otherwise, if you use more, the recipe will turn out dry.

1 comment:

RB said...

Our brother is extremely sensitive to MSG. I have two recipes that use canned soup (one with tomato and one with cream of mushroom), and we've found that Healthy Choice and Campbell's Healthy Request canned soups don't have it, so I can use them, but even then, I compare the salt/sodium content of them both to see which has less because canned soups are terrible at having too much of that too.

God bless.

RB
<><