Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, April 14, 2014

Windy Weekend ~ Layered Dip ~ Goat Gone Wild

Saturday the weather was so nice, but a bit windy.  In reality, the wind was a good thing - drying up the wet ground.  Sunday was windy and in the upper 70's.  Tuesday we will dip down to a high of 40°F.  Today is is raining and everything is wet again.  The weather is playing games with my allergies, but I am dealing with it.
I had a bad start to my day today, but hopefully it will get better as it goes by.  

There is nothing more crazy than trying to hold the bridge of my nose (to stop a bloody nose that I now get on the worst pollen count days)with one hand, while driving with a baby goat in the passenger seat nibbling on my shirt sleeve.  

I'm just thankful that we have a farm vet that works with goats here.  We have no experience in the disbudding business, so I do have to drive them there.  



The trees are coming back to life, and most of the grass is green again.



I have a few hyacinths and daffodils blooming.  I see a few tulips poking up from the ground, but no blooms just yet.



The family gathered for Son's "send off" party, as well as singing him Happy Birthday.  He will be gone over his birthday this year too.  We ate, laughed, shared stories, and ate some more.  Today he is flying to Parris Island for his Marine basic training.  It's only been one day, and it feels a bit "empty" here.  I know he won't like me asking, but prayers would be appreciated for him.




Easy Layered Dip
1 - 8 oz. cream cheese
2 cloves of garlic minced
1-2 Roma tomatoes (or your choice) chopped
Green onions, snipped
Mozzarella cheese, finely shredded

Set cream cheese out to soften.  Once soft, cream it with the minced garlic.  Spread it onto a serving plate (I use a regular dinner plate).  Top it with chopped tomatoes, and green onions.  Add shredded cheese to cover, to your taste.

Refrigerate for several hours for the garlic and cream cheese to infuse flavors.  Serve with crackers of your choice.  

We love this with my homemade wheat thins. I also chop my tomatoes first, and let the juices strain out while I prepare the rest of the ingredients.





Well.  Look at this.  It's not pretty anymore.  While we were all at the family gathering, our  200 lb. (or so) Buck decided to pull loose and run to the house for safety.  Typically he gets loose from something spooking him. 

He totally ruined the white garden fencing that was completely around my one herb garden.  He had his tie-out tied up around the pots of spearmint on the left, and could not get free.  Thankfully, he did not eat all my green onion or other herbs.


However, that goat ripped out my solar lights and made a mess of my herb garden.  He trampled some daffodils too.  I will have to spend time to re-set my natural rock border, and see if I can re-use that fencing or not.  It keeps the chickens out, so it does have a purpose.

5 comments:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

It is a warm windy day here today but cooler tomorrow with rain. I have heard that it is a brutal time for those suffering with allergies! Hope it doesn't get you down too much!

Liz said...

Oh boy he sure did a number on your little garden! I sure will say a prayer for your son. My daughter was in the Army and it sure can be nerve racking for a mom.

theyellowbirdsings said...

Oh my gosh...that dip looks delish!!!

I will be praying for your brave son...my youngest leaves for "the island" in twenty eight days so I know how you're feeling. So proud of all our sons...May God Bless Them All!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Oh Kristina-
So much going on with you.
Prayers going out for your son and family (MOM)
I can't imagine allergies that bad. I guess I'm pretty fortunate I don't have them like that.
That silly Goat!
I bet you're industrious enough to re purpose or Use that fencing. I had some last year, that was GREEN (don't buy the green) mine was destroyed by people unable to SEE it around the areas I had placed it and well, tangled people in my tangled fence...:/
But...I moved to another place and was able to salvage most of it and with some creativity and baling wire-- it is keeping the chickens out too!
Hope your week improves.
Pat

RB said...

From a former Woman Marine Sergeant (69-72), please accept my congratulations for your son in the USMC, and my sincere prayers for him.
It's tough, but he'll learn more there, mostly about himself really, than he would in anything else on earth.
God bless.
RB
<><