Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Heinz ~ False Claims? ~ Books


If you haven't heard, Heinz is being put under the microscope for claims they say could be false.  They claim their vinegar is "all natural" but sources state that Heinz has been using GMO corn to make it.  This is probably old news by the time I post this.


All I can do is sigh.  How do we really know any of the "organic" labeled food is even organic?  We don't.  Unless of course you grow it, raise it, make it yourself.  And in this case, it's not organic, it's the "all natural" question.

And this is why I choose the hard work of self-sufficiency.  And of course, the seeds we grow, are now carefully sought out from reputable seed companies. 

I may not be able to do everything myself, but I can do the best I can, with what I can.  And I can be proud of it.

Other than using white distilled vinegar for homemade cleaners, we use it often during canning season (pickles, relish, etc.).  

I have now borrowed a book from the library, and sharing it for those who want to make homemade vinegar.  Apple cider vinegar is used quite often here too, but we do buy Bragg's organic.   I am still waiting for the book to come in, but in the mean time, I am sharing these:

I'm about halfway through this book.  It's very enlightening and full of information.  Seeds of Deception, by Jeffrey M. Smith - Exposing Industry and Government Lies about the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating.




I started this book too.  It's an analysis of the fate of our fish, and compares farm raised to wild caught.  A very good book too - Four Fish, by Paul Greenberg.

5 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

Woe is us! I've been very active on FB and writing our government reps regarding many issues regarding GMO's and other environmental concerns. Farm raised fish can be a problem too as they give them antibiotics too and feed them GMO feed....at least some do so what do we know? Nothing. You're so right to make your own food, seeds, everything but unfortunately not everyone can do that. (Are you aware of Baker's Seeds in Missouri?) So, for my grandchildren's and all children's sake I try to fight for labeling. People have a right to have a choice and to know what they're ingesting. Good for you! Knowledge is power so I keep "sharing" on FB at least giving people information. What they do with it is up to them. Wish us all luck in preserving this world....we're going to need it!

Unknown said...

I use Bragg's organic also as they've been around forever. I just try and bless what I eat, as you really never know. So much pollution is also water-borne (ground water) and airborne, there's no perfect "safe" food IMO....

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

After reading this book, I do realize to find real food (good food) is extremely difficult. And after reading this book, I realize that those in control of labeling can change it to suit their needs, and not for the protection of our health.

ladybug loves lilacs said...

I was unaware that corn was used to make vinegar. I guess we learn something new everyday. I agree we need to do everything we can to keep our food clean and safe for our children and grandchildren.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Lady bug, if you Google this issue, you will find many articles about it. As for GMO corn, it's used to make so many things, including alcohol. After reading "Seeds of Deception" I realize that I need to buy non-GMO canola oil. I never knew that canola crops are GMO. This book was so helpful. It makes you wonder if any label can be trusted as well.