Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Caught Reading ~ The "Storm"



 Independence Days, A guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation, by Sharon Astyk.


I got caught reading the printed word yesterday.  I made heads turn.  I made people make eyes at me.  They squinted in wonderment. They raised eyebrows in disbelief.


I was holding a book.

I was standing outside Tire and Lube yesterday, patiently waiting for my oldest daughter to pick me up for a brunch date, while I waited for new tires to be put on my car.  I was leaning against a pole, soaking up the morning sun (boy did it feel good), and reading while I waited.


"What is that foreign object in that woman's hands?" one thought.

"She's crazy!  Doesn't she know she can read on iPods and tablets these days?" another eyed her.

I plan to get caught reading books more often this year.  How about you?




If you think this is bad, you should see what my kitchen looks like.  I call this the "storm" before the "calm."  In between  decluttering and re-organizing three rooms, this is the next thing to tackle.  Can you imagine me writing there? Well, I haven't actually.  I've been on the porch this week.  But rain is arriving tomorrow, so I better get busy.

Things will be in disarray until my final cabinet is installed.  I have finished the last coat of paint and have started on the doors.  My kitchen table is my painting area for now.  The weather is too finicky to paint outside on a regular basis.

I've been working on some embroidery this week.  I'll have some photos to share soon. 

I have one month left, to get my "extreme clean" finished, so time is precious.  Isn't it anyway?  Time, that is?
 

4 comments:

EMMA said...

Love the cover of that book! I'm definitely up for getting caught reading a book anytime, maybe we could start a book bombing movement - real pages in public!!!
Rain forecast here for tomorrow too.

Mama Pea said...

But just think how GREAT you'll feel when your "extreme clean" is finished! You will have your spring cleaning done, done, done. I've always wanted to do a deep spring (or fall) cleaning, but have never done it. One year when I tried, I started on the bathroom (we have a small one at that) and it took me three days. How could that have been possible?? That was just too much and I gave up the whole idea.

Michelle said...

It surprises me how many people don't read. I was talking about a book the other day and was asked why I didn't just watch the movie. One I didn't know it was made into a movie ,two why would I do that. The movies are always a watered down story line. Or they are nothing like the book.

Unknown said...

I love Sharon! Learned a lot from her food storage course online and her books. Great woman...