Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Another Arrival


The elderberry plants arrived and are planted.  They came with a guarantee, so if they do not survive over one year, we get free replacements.  As you can see, these are small starters, but can turn into 10 foot shrubs (or taller) with good care.

6 comments:

Kim said...

I am interested to hear how they do. I forage for my elderberries in the woods.

Sam I Am...... said...

Good for you! A great plant to have around! Let us know how they do. I hope the deer don't get them or the rabbits.

Unknown said...

I wish I had room to grow some here, but at least I have chokecherries...

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Yes... same here. Keep us posted on how it doing.
Pat

EMMA said...

Will you get berries this year from them? Apparently they grow really well here so I'm going to have a look in town tomorrow to see if I can find any plants. Also keeping an eye open while out hiking, maybe I can find some wild ones.
I wonder what chokecherries are in french?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

It will be a few years before we see berries on them, but I'm excited to plant them. I have to order my elderberries here. There are not many public free woods to look for them in (other than state parks). We only have wild black raspberries on our property.