Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, February 7, 2014

My Name is Mom, and I am a Recipe Hoarder


I wish I had a photo of last night's dinner.  Remember when I said I was increasing our salmon and greens?  Well last night I dug out two recipes from the pile.


Salmon Oat Cakes
Mashed Potatoes and Kale

Now, the Salmon recipe is from Clean Eating, and does come with a recipe for red potatoes and greens, but I had kale on hand, so hence the other recipe.  The link the magazine includes on this magazine page, does not work.   I could not find this recipe anywhere on their site, so I wrote out instructions below, for the salmon recipe.

My kids devoured both the salmon and the potatoes.  For the potatoes I simply made garlic mashed potatoes, and wilted the kale in another pan, and mixed them into the potatoes.  I wilted them (about 4 cups diced, stems removed), in 1/2 cup water and a about a Tablespoon of organic soy sauce.

I did not have green onions on hand.  Even my dehydrated stash is depleted.  I did have some very small, last of the the harvest, yellow onions (from the garden).  I simply chopped them finely, and the oat cakes still tasted wonderful.  It was well worth spending the $22.00 on salmon.  I'd rather spend $22.00 then a lifetime in doctor's offices, so this recipe is going in the recipe box, and out of the hoarded pile.

I have a huge pile to go through, and my brother sent me his stash of salmon recipes too.  I just may have to see about fishing for my own salmon this summer (or next).

Speaking of doctor's offices.  Hmpf.  I have bronchitis.  Lovely, right?  As hard as I tried to stay healthy this winter, this just irritates me.

I'm off to pick up my medications today, and hope to find some pepper spray for my oldest daughter.  She's experienced two men stalking her, while walking at her apartment, and has relieved me by joining a self-defense class.  I will just feel better when I get her some pepper spray. 

Salmon Oat Cakes
3/4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
3 - 5 oz. pouches wild caught salmon
1 bunch green onions, minced
1 tsp. ground mustard
olive oil.

Grind the oats into a fine powder (I used my food processor), and add 3 Tbsp. of water.  

In another bowl, mix the salmon, onions and ground mustard. Add the oat mixture and mix well.  Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the mixture, and press flat to create a 3-inch oat cake.  

Add a small bit of olive oil to a non-stick skillet, and cook oat cakes until golden brown (about 10 minutes).
(From Clean Eating Magazine)


3 comments:

Liz said...

I have been collecting recipes for salmon cakes. We love them. This sounds like a tastey one! Hate to hear you are sick. Hope those meds kick in fast! Take care and feel better!

Unknown said...

I've made something similar with wild-caught canned salmon. Much cheaper than fresh, and I buy multiples and keep them on hand. Sorry your pipes are still frozen! Hopefully you can get some heat tape, or insulation, at some point to help you guys out in the winter. Or maybe get a wood cookstove in the kitchen?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I've thought about adding a wood stove to the kitchen too. I will definitely be buying my salmon when I see it on sale, and stocking it in the freezer from now on.