Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Cleaning Out, Using Up, Something New


You might find this funny.  After revealing to the world I had a hoarded pile of recipes to try, my Mom sends me a Healthy Cooking magazine.  On top, she wrote "Let me know if you find any great recipes.  So many sound awesome!"  Ha!  More recipes.  Ugh.


So, with school closed a few days ago, and the kids hogging the computer, I actually tried one recipe.   I had limes and coconut that needed used up anyway.   Although there are many recipes in the magazine, I just did not have the ingredients for most.  Some looked similar to pasta dishes I already make too.

What did I make?  Lime Coconut Biscotti.


I do think that it would be a bit tastier if we had drizzled dark chocolate over each piece.  Although we could taste the lime in it, we all felt it needed a bit of sweetness to it.  This was the first time making any type of Biscotti.  

I did read through 2 entire writer magazines yesterday, after a full day of household chores.  Those will be passed on to my daughter.  However, it prompted me to order several books from the library, and research submission guidelines for another magazine.  

I admit, yesterday I felt much better too.  Although I am still somewhat coughing, and I still have fluid in my right ear.

I finished the Bavarian stitch baby blanket, but have not picked up any other unfinished projects yet.  I have two, that I am now debating whether to ditch or do.  Do you ever get so frustrated with a project hanging around, you'd rather toss it than finish it?  You know, the kind that takes up space and takes a long time to finish?

How do you decide when it's time to give it away or toss it?

1 comment:

Candy C. said...

I'm glad you are feeling better! The biscotti look really good, I've never tried making them either. Not long ago, I ripped out a crochet project and used the crochet thread on another project. It would have been easier to just buy new! LOL!!