Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, February 21, 2014

A new page, A new possibility


To take over the goats or not to. 

That is the possibility over the next 2 years.  Daughter is talking about moving out after she graduates (and go off to college) and won't be able to take the goats with her.  If she leaves them, I would have to take over all duties that she took care of. Which is everything - all goat care, milking, and soap making.  I was simply the goat milker back-up.  And of course, watered them during the school year when needed.



This is only a "possibility" as I have a very large garden to plant, weed, harvest and stock up with.  Not to mention chicken duties, splitting wood and so forth.   And then there is possible employment outside of the home, and my freelance work inside the home.  And "Big Boy" is another element to the decision.  I'm not sure if I can handle his smell and attend his care.  And lastly, there is the issue of never leaving to travel anywhere, and being tied down to the homestead.



But, then again, we have somewhat of a goat history in the family.  Here is my mother with her goat Buttsey and cat named Dusty. 

Saying it's just a possibility, makes it easier to simply let sit for a while. 



6 comments:

Sandra said...

Is there a sibling that could take over?
good luck with your decision.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra, I did ask my 14 year-old and my 12 year-old, but both said no. The older two will be off to military training, and one to college, and then of course my next oldest. Maybe, this summer, I can have my 14 yo spend time milking and see if she likes it. She could at least be trained the basics to cover me for a trip here and there too. If I decide to take over that is.

Carolyn said...

Well, asking me right now I'd tell you to "run for the hills!!". But I am having quite a bit of goat trouble right now, as you know.

Could you get anyone else on board, even if it's just to cover for you? I'd be more inclined to agree to taking on the goats if I knew I could still get OUT of the house for a day or so if need be.

Willow said...

I love that old photo.
Your right farm animals are a full time job , hard to get pet sitters for a farm when you want to travel . Of course I couldn't live without them so we work around it .lol

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I'm looking at all that you have going on and now question yet another responsibility...
Well, personally, I'm right there with you.
I've taken some time off from my blog trying to figure out just what I need to be doing. There only 24 hrs in a day. One day can barely contain all that I'm doing already-- I'm considering dropping some things. Adding?
If it were me, I'd have to say no for sure.
After chasing cows last weekend and helping to 'contain' them for the neighbors-- another vote in the NO column.
I hope you get it figured out, dear.
Pat

Mama Pea said...

Having your own milk supply . . . how much does that enter into the equation for you? You have children who are old enough to handle the goat chores occasionally when you want to "get out of Dodge." IF they would willingly do it. (Won't work if they grump and grumble about the task. 'Cause you just won't take any time off then.) It should be a decision that feels good to you, not because it would please your college-bound daughter to keep her goats in the family. You're wise to take the time to think about it.