Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Snow Storm and Frigid Temps


I'm not sure how much snow we got last night, but they predicted up to 5 inches.  As you can see, it's extremely windy, and more snow is predicted.  Drifting will be a huge problem out here.

I can't complain about the -1°F wind chill, considering the temps that Minnesota is fighting right now.

 

The weather, along with other thing's life brings, is a battle this week.  Hubby's truck broke down - he's borrowing my car (which is better in the snow anyway).  The cornish rock rooster is causing mayhem in the coop, and broke another heat lamp bulb - we are down to one heat lamp, and the stores are sold out of bulbs.  I may have to figure out a back up for the coop now, but now I'm driving "old faithful" and she ain't fun to drive in the blowing snow (old farm truck).  She's not weighed down in the back either.

Our youngest woke up sick, so I've been keeping on eye on her.  I do have Elder Tea, and that's a good thing.  Thankfully, I have chicken in the freezer, so I am able to whip up a pot of homemade chicken noodle soup today.  

As I sit here, in my kitchen, I can feel cold air blowing in, through the closed windows.  The kids let the fire go out, so I am madly feeding it wood, in hopes to warm this place up.  Thankfully, we do not have frozen pipes.  We were smarter this time, and left cupboard doors open.

My son is due to come home from work soon, so I am praying he can get his car into the driveway, let alone get home safely.  The gracious snow plow guy, just plowed in the only way to get into my drive.  Guess I better go stuff myself into Hubby's carhart overalls, and get to shoveling.  

Today's plan - get all the dishes washed, laundry washed, bathrooms cleaned, carpets vacuumed, animals watered, and pray we get through the next two weeks without frozen pipes, don't run out of wood pellets, and don't run out of groceries (or water for that matter).  I'm also praying for my chickens, all huddled under one heat lamp.  Next year, I am stocking up about 6 bulbs.  I had 2 on back up, but mayhem in the coop continues.

Stay safe and warm.

"Positive anything is better than negative nothing."  ~ Elbert Hubbard

Today I am thankful for:
~ wood for the wood stove
~ food in my freezer
~ warm slippers
~ good books
~ yarn in stock here at home, to work on a baby blanket
~ hot coffee
~ God's Promises
~ water pipes not frozen
~ electricity
~ for the one working heat lamp in the chicken coop

7 comments:

Tombstone Livestock said...

Brrr, stay warm, stay dry

Unknown said...

Sounds cold! I switched to ceramic heating discs used for reptiles. They last a lot longer than the red ones. Most pet supply stores carry them, or you can get them online. Pretty unbreakable too!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Reptile heating discs? I will have to look into that. Thanks.

Cris said...

Stay warm--those wind chills are no fun at all. It was -22 this morning at my house, and I am nursing along my meager supply of firewood until I can get more on Saturday. I'm not looking forward to Monday--it's going to be ridiculously cold again!!! :-) I don't usually mind living in the north, but seriously, this is madness.

Unknown said...

You can go up to 150 watts which, in a bigger coop than ours, you might need a few. They last forever however!!! And no potential fires :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cris, it's -20 wind chill today, it is crazy.

Little Homestead, thanks for the tip. I hope to restock and try out pet store this Saturday.

Unknown said...

I feel for your cold and nasty weather! It's sunny and 30 here, a heat wave!
Nancy @ Little Homestead