Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Old Commerical Songs

School closed today.  I am pretty sure they will be going tomorrow. We are to get a high of 15°F today and at around 6:00am tomorrow it will only be a low of -4°F.  Timmy, our barn cat did come to the door last night.  Thankfully he's okay.  He must have found a good place to hunker down for the night, and stay warm.
 
I'm showing my age with my kids this week.  For some reason I was singing the (1973) old Oscar Mayer song, which led me to the Tic Tac song (from 1974), which got us talking about how much our meal choices have changed.


Hard to believe I grew up on bologna, spaghettios (which became part of my English paper on sodium in "pretend" foods, when I was attending college a few years ago), and velveeta cheese.

Back to the songs.  If you click on the links you can hear them on YouTube - ha ha ha!  My kids were very amused.  I think they were more amused that we actually had fun without electronics - swings, bikes, skateboards, skates, hula hoops, tree houses, unicycle, trips to the city pool, etc.


As kids, my sisters and I, used to swing on my Grandma's swings and sing the Tic Tac song.  We'd jump off the swings when we screamed "Bang" in the song, ha ha ha!  Oh those were the good ol' days.
 
Another one we used to sing while swinging, was one about McDonald's:

McDonald's is your kind of place
(can't remember this line)
Pickles between your toes
French fries up your nose
And don't forget those crummy shakes
They come from polluted lakes
I want my money back
Before I have a heart attack

.......I think I'll go build myself a swing.

2 comments:

Candy C. said...

It is amazing how our definition of 'food' has come full circle, back to REAL food! I actually feel guilty if I eat a hot dog now. Speaking of which, the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile was down to the local Walmart on Saturday but, dang it, I didn't have my camera with me!

Liz said...

Glad the cat made it home! I didn't eat a lot of hotdogs, but canned spaghetti O's was one of my favorites!