One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Puffed Pear Pancake ~ Cast Iron Baking

(right out of the oven)

In the midst of waiting for my pear liqueur to finish, I decided to tackle the 5 large bowls of pears that awaited me. Okay, so I tackled two whole pears (of the 5 large bowls). Ha ha!

I decided to make a Puffed Pear Pancake (Real Simple Recipes).  It's baked right in a cast iron pan.  Simple right?

Not only simple, but delicious. I took the advice of other reviews, and added a second pear, and extra spices.  It was a nice after school snack for the kids.  The batter bakes into a crust that has a somewhat "egg" flavor.  It was really good topped with maple syrup too.

5 comments:

Candy C. said...

This is going to the top of the list of things to make! It looks fabulous and I love that it bakes right in the cast iron skillet.

Little Homestead In Boise said...

Oooo, thanks! My hubby loves pears, so I'll surprise him :)

EMMA said...

In France that would be called a 'matafan' or "mate faim" - 'faime' means hungry, and I haven't made one for years. Years ago before packaged foods, farm workers would take their matafan with them in the fields for when they wanted a little snack.
Having a devil of a job finding a cast iron pan here. Have found one on line but the postage is almost as much as the pan!!

RB said...

Reminds me a little bit of Dutch Pancakes which some call Dutch Babies which I loved to make a long time ago when I was first. I put strawberry jam and powdered sugar on ours. Yum!!!

God bless.

RB
<><

RB said...

Emma - Try thrift stores for good used cast iron pans. From time to time, I can find one there, and what's great about them being used is, they're often fully seasoned too.

God bless.

RB
<><