Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, September 6, 2013

Spinach Sausage Pizza ~ Hunting for Tomatoes



It's that time of year again, where I weed out the garden, and get it tilled for next year.  The weeds, due to neglect (I guess I was a bit depressed to even care for it after the weather flooded it out), have grown to 4-5 feet out there.  What a mess.
   

I grabbed a strainer, called for the dogs, and headed out to the back where one patch of tomatoes still produces a few. 


I bent over to pick tomatoes and I heard something growl.  Yikes!  I better be taking along a very sharp hoe next time.  I am just praying it was a barn cat I may have surprised.

Despite battling a forest of weeds (and growling), I brought in 1 dozen tomatoes.  I was so excited. Normally, I'd have to bring in a card table to hold over 150 tomatoes this time of year.  I've gotten over that now, and am looking forward to next year.

Anyway, I decided to take the tomatoes we were blessed with, and make a Spinach Sausage Pizza.  I was able to find locally made (hot Italian) chicken sausage (healthy, no antibiotics etc.).  

Although the process was tedious, it was worth it.  I saved the juice from the drained tomatoes, and used it for soup the next day.   The recipe is from Clean Eating, and it is delicious!


2 comments:

Candy C. said...

That looks so, so good! I was wanting to make pizza for supper tonight but it looks like fish tacos are on the menu instead. :)

Beansieleigh said...

Oh, Kristina.. That pizza looks so good, I wish I could reach right through this monitor! I'll have to check out this recipe!.. Hope you're enjoying your weekend; and, oh my gosh, watch out for that growler! ~tina