One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, September 6, 2013

Spinach Sausage Pizza ~ Hunting for Tomatoes



It's that time of year again, where I weed out the garden, and get it tilled for next year.  The weeds, due to neglect (I guess I was a bit depressed to even care for it after the weather flooded it out), have grown to 4-5 feet out there.  What a mess.
   

I grabbed a strainer, called for the dogs, and headed out to the back where one patch of tomatoes still produces a few. 


I bent over to pick tomatoes and I heard something growl.  Yikes!  I better be taking along a very sharp hoe next time.  I am just praying it was a barn cat I may have surprised.

Despite battling a forest of weeds (and growling), I brought in 1 dozen tomatoes.  I was so excited. Normally, I'd have to bring in a card table to hold over 150 tomatoes this time of year.  I've gotten over that now, and am looking forward to next year.

Anyway, I decided to take the tomatoes we were blessed with, and make a Spinach Sausage Pizza.  I was able to find locally made (hot Italian) chicken sausage (healthy, no antibiotics etc.).  

Although the process was tedious, it was worth it.  I saved the juice from the drained tomatoes, and used it for soup the next day.   The recipe is from Clean Eating, and it is delicious!


2 comments:

Candy C. said...

That looks so, so good! I was wanting to make pizza for supper tonight but it looks like fish tacos are on the menu instead. :)

Beansieleigh said...

Oh, Kristina.. That pizza looks so good, I wish I could reach right through this monitor! I'll have to check out this recipe!.. Hope you're enjoying your weekend; and, oh my gosh, watch out for that growler! ~tina