One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Frugal Tip ~ Dehydrating Cottage Cheese


I am learning to be much smarter with my dehydrator, and saving money at the grocery store.  They had 16 oz. tubs of organic cottage cheese marked down for clearance.  I paid $1.49 each, for two tubs.  They are normally $4.89 each.  They fit nicely on the 4 trays in my dehydrator. 
 


The savings was nice, and the storage space will be small.  I can rehydrate it for any recipe using fresh cottage cheese.  It does turn a slight yellow after it is dry, but is smells so wonderful while it's drying (at least mine did).

I think I will take some of this camping too.  


2 comments:

EMMA said...

I had no idea it was possible to dehydrate cheese! Maybe I should invest in a dehydrator, it seems like a very useful piece of kitchen equipment.

Sam I Am...... said...

Great idea about the cottage cheese! I love cottage cheese, well, I love all kinds of cheese!
Too bad your Farmer's Market is over as I just made some darling pumpkins which are fast easy and so cute that I bet they would sell at your market!
I blogged about them today. Getting a lot done around this old homestead. Happy Fall!