Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Healthier Zucchini Cake ~ Blackstrap Molasses and Honey


I happened to be thumbing through a book I got for free at the library, and found a recipe for a healthier zucchini cake.  Although the book had outdated information on healthy eating, some of the recipes looked good enough to try (Foods that Heal, by Maureen Salaman and James F. Scheer, © 1989)

I had purchased blackstrap molasses from my last trip to Amish country (where it has been the only location to find it other than on the internet).

Hubby's co-worker shared two large zucchini's with us, so I made the cake to try, and shredded the remaining zucchini for freezing.  

The only thing I forgot to buy to finish this cake, was the slivered almonds.  Tip:  One of my daughter's suggested simply sprinkling chopped almonds on it next time.

Zucchini Cake
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups zucchini, grated
1 c. slivered almonds
1 c.  apricots, chopped
1 lime (or lemon)
1 c. safflower oil (cold press)
1 c. honey
1/2 c. blackstrap molasses
2 eggs
2 t. baking powder
1 c. spring water

Beat eggs.  Add honey and molasses while beating.  Grate rind of lime and add with lime juice.  Mix flour and baking powder.  Add water and oil alternately.  Add zucchini and apricots.  Place in 9 x 13 baking dish.  Sprinkle top with slivered almonds.  Bake 350°F in the oven for 40-45 minutes.

Note:  This cake is moist if using fresh apricots, which is what I used.  I did have to bake it a bit longer.  My family devoured it. 


4 comments:

EMMA said...

Yum. I often make a zucchini and chocolate cake, it's delicious but a bit laborious to make. This sounds like a quicker and healthier alternative. We are having an amazing Zucchini crop this year.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Oh this sounds SO GOOD. I keep BS molasses on hand for iron supplement (I get mine at the Mennonite bakery)
No one carries it here, otherwise.
So I'm thankful for that.
I need to pin the recipe. It's just too dern hot to heat up the oven. But I definitely want to try this.
Pat

Katrina Bogdon, ND said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! I have been looking for a healthy zucchini recipe lately. I tried a zucchini brownie, but accidently put in too much zucchini (2 pounds instead of 2 cups)! I'll try this recipe and hopefully have more success.

Katrina Bogdon
www.ourhealingroots.blogspot.com

Candy C. said...

I love baking with molasses and honey instead of refined sugar. We have some of the LDS folks around here who make Sorghum molasses and it is pretty good. I'm saving this recipe, thanks!! :)