One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Handiwork ~ Good Price for Straw

Although the weather forecast is showing thunderstorms for this coming weekend. I made some fun crafts.  I had a bag of pin backs, so I used scrap fabric and a button to create some fun brooches.  These will be so cute on tote bags or aprons (or anything else for that matter).



I restocked the "do your your dishes in style" scrubbies.



I restocked a few more knitted dishcloths, and crocheted dishcloths.


My 16 year-old daughter mixed up a batch of Tea Tree oil Goat's milk soap.


I have started on crocheting rooster ornaments.


Our straw "guy" called yesterday.  He had it ready in the field, and was offering it up to us for $2.50/bale if we picked it up in the field.  He was actually out working in the extreme heat.  We did go get it.  Now we are stocked up, and at a good price.  We saved $1.00 per bale.  I did have to snicker at Hubby.  He came inside and said, "yea, when I got there, there was a bale over there and over there and over there....."  Did he seriously think they'd be nicely stacked in one place? Ha ha ha!  Anyway, we paid $92.50 for 37 bales, and otherwise would have cost us $129.50.  We saved $37.00.

Mattie, our 14 year-old cat, needs surgery.  She'll be going in on Friday to have the growth removed. This has been a "vet" week for us - meds for Sadie, a visit and surgery for Mattie, and a house call from the farm vet for Orion (buck).  

The guys worked all night on the tile project.  It's moving along slowly, but progress is being made.

I was excited to bring in about 10 oz. of strawberries.  The rain may have killed off 80% of our garden, but it brought forth some strawberries.  I also picked 3 cucumbers.  I am trying to get a book from our library, to make my creamy dip for them.  I can't seem to find my recipe.  I do not have enough cucumbers to make fridge pickles or can pickles (yet).  I may have to buy those this year too.

6 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

So, sorry to hear about your garden! I had problems too...I had to dig mine all up as poison ivy came up all over in it and I had to spray. I got it on me last year and had to go to the doc it was so bad. I hate to use chemicals but no one I talked to had any other good suggestions.
I love all your Farmer's Market items. I went to ours this morning and there's a booth of ladies who crochet but their stuff is dated and bad colors choices in my mind. I think they're the ones that turned people off to crochet for so long! LOL! I love your pins too.
Too funny about your husband and the straw....he must be a "greenhorn". I had to visit the vet for my cat last week....tape worms....don't ask me how I knew she had them! I thought she was wormed when I got her from the adoption place but shots yes, worming, no. I hope all goes well with your kitty and hopefully your garden will pop back.

Candy C. said...

Your little crocheted roosters are gonna be cute and I love the fancy dish scrubbies! I hope you guys don't get rained out for the Market. :)

Sharon said...

I think that your little pins are darling! You have been so busy. Gardens, sometimes I wonder why I bother to have a garden.

EMMA said...

You are one busy lady! That soap must be wonderful.
Best wishes for Mattie's surgery. Have any of your kids thought of being a vet? might save you a small fortune!

Kim said...

Sorry to hear about Mattie. I wish her well. When is your next market?

Kristina said...

Kim,
Our next market day is this coming Saturday. I sure hope it's cooler and no rain.