Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Daily Devotion of Another Kind


I woke one day last this past week, and did not want to garden, can, or clean.  I dedicated the day to my writing.  And that's exactly what I did.  Or maybe "tried" to do.

I had to go to the barn to get my breakfast - no eggs in the house.  After I walked into my room to tidy it later, I got caught up in striping the bed and doing 2 loads of laundry.

Then, while putting the laundry on the line, I saw that the flower pots needed watered.  And before that, I skimmed a crock pot recipe book for something to toss in for dinner (which I did, and adapted it to whatever I had in the freezer from last season).  However, when I did that, I pulled stuff out of the freezer to take a quick inventory.

And that's how it went.  However, I did get rid of 3 magazines (to the recycling box), put two sweatshirts away for fall camping, and picked up other things in my room (where my writing desk is).  Then I made a list of to-do's and put it on the computer for the kids.

Then, and only then, did I go into my room to actually write.  I just got started on revising one article, when the kids started to appear in my room.  One by one.  Hmpf.  I need an office on the roof.  I need one way out in the back, in a cabin or camper.

"If I was canning at the stove, not one of you would have bothered me," I said in frustration.

"You should have shut your door and put your do not disturb sign on it," one said.

Like that would make a difference.

I did manage to do a revision, and started a second one.  And that's when I realized I'm done with "motherhood" and "how-to" and non-fiction articles.  At this point in my life, I have realized I am done with that type of writing.

Either way, despite interruptions, I give myself a high-five for putting in time for my writing - my life's passion since I was in elementary school.



Just for fun, I am starting to document my published writing over in the sidebar of this blog.  One of these days, I'll get a book written (let me rephrase that, when I get my book written) and that will be the day I create my author blog.    I have dug out my folder full of tear sheets.  Now I'm ready for a shelf full of published novels.

Oh, and even though I "tried" to stay away from the everyday, mundane jobs and other work, it was an overall good day.  My son took the girls swimming, so I had a bit of a break.  However, one goat got loose, so after chasing her back in, and re-watering, I decided to put it all away for the day.

Hubby helped out too.  He did an evening run, and now our hay is stocked up.  This time it cost us $4.50/bale (it was $3.00/bale prior).

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Good for you getting some writing done! I find writing is cheaper than a shrink anyways :)

Hay is STILL expensive from last year's drought. If they can get the money for it, they will. Not that I want a farmer to LOSE money, but it seems the middle men are still hiking up the prices around here because people are still scared from last year's drought.

Unknown said...

Sometimes life is like that- it's all the little things that eat up so much time. And what's a "tear sheet"?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

A tear sheet is an page or article torn from a publication, to show a client they were indeed published. Once I had articles published, they would send me a print copy.

EMMA said...

Just had a read of your online article - sound advice indeed!