Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Not Cool!

You won't see a photo of it either.  I'm scarred for life (as the kids tell me, with a hidden evil smile).

I was on the south side porch, drinking from my water bottle and taking a look downward at a smaller flower bed.  I had already done some front yard weeding and planting, and even planted vegetables in the vegetable garden.  I had been wondering where to start next (thinking to myself and not making any noise).  The small flower bed was pretty haggard looking.  So, I stood and contemplated.

To my left the bathroom juts out from the house, and out of the corner of my eye, I could see black fluff moving across the grass towards me.   It was within 8-10 feet of me.

I screwed my water cap back on, and was about to pet Aurora, when I stepped in that direction, and screamed.   It had walked directly toward me, and stopped at about 8 feet (or less) from me.

That black fluff was not Aurora our barn cat, but a very large raccoon, who by now was looking straight at meOf course, I screamed.  I never once have had a raccoon visit me in during the day time.  

Shaking like a crazed lunatic, I ran inside and yelled for my kids who were home.  My son ran out and it had already disappeared.  

And to think I was about to get down on my knees and weed within a few feet of that thing!
 
It may be hunkering down in a hole under the house.  Hubby probably laughed his rear off, while listening to the voice mail I left him.

I'm thinkin' we need to buy a trap.  Good thing my chickens were not out.  A sick raccoon is a dangerous raccoon.  Why else would it be out roaming during day light?  It was noon when it showed it's ugly face to me.

Not cool.  Not cool. 

I asked Hubby, "how am I supposed to plant today?"

"Take a ball bat with you."

   

    

4 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Oooo! that happened to me once, only it was a SKUNK! I wasn't about to pet it...but it was out and about at lunch time and I was minding my own business hanging laundry!!!
I thought it was a black trash bag wafting across the pasture and went toward it to grab it before it blew away...(ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GLASSES WHEN YOU'RE OUTSIDE) it turned and that is when I saw the flash of white in it's tail!
Aack!
I ran for the house. It was right after Honey's heart attack and stroke...needless to say, we didn't get the gun loaded in enough time. (don't want to hit that thing with a bat! it would make a stink)

so yeah... carry a bat! LOL...
Pat

Candy C. said...

A trap sounds like a VERY good idea! Them suckers can be mean and you sure don't want it going after the chickens! Yikes!

Beansieleigh said...

Oh my gosh... No! This would NOT be cool with me either! A trap, or at least SOME course of action should be a VERY good idea, I think! Best case scenario is hopefully he's moved on to other territory. Just be careful in the meantime! ~tina

Unknown said...

I'd get a trap too, if it's sick. Could it be wounded?