One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Buttermilk Cornmeal Pancakes


I know folks have different views on buying any food that has been marked down, but I wanted to share another delicious recipe.  Again, it is from a book from the library.

I bought a 1/2 gallon of antibiotic free buttermilk for $1.25.  I used to be able to find it for $.75.  In the winter, organic milk is very expensive (to make buttermilk homemade).

This recipe would need to be doubled for a large family.  Unless of course you add some eggs and a type of meat for a side.  Yum!  They are tasty and light.
  

Buttermilk Cornmeal Pancakes
(adapted with organic/local ingredients, from Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, by Cheryl Day and Griffith Day)

1 1/2 cups unbleached, organic all-purpose flour
1 cup organic cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 Tbsp. organic sugar
2 large farm fresh eggs, lightly beaten
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
8 Tbsp. unsalted organic butter, melted (1 stick) *6 Tbsp for the recipe and 2 for cooking them.

Butter for Serving


In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, salt, and sugar.

In a large measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and 6 Tbsp. of the melted butter. Whisk the wet mixture into the dry mixture until just combined.

Heat a griddle or heavy skillet over medium-high heat (electric griddle should reach 350-375°F).  Grease the hot griddle with the remaining 2 Tbsp. melted butter.

Pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto the hot griddle for each pancake, making 3-4 pancakes at a time.  Bubbles will start to form on top and around edges.  After 2-3 minutes, lift each pancake up halfway with a spatula to see if it is golden brown and the edges are crispy; if so, the pancake is ready to turn.  Flip the pancake over and cook until the underside is golden brown, 2-3 minutes more.  Serve with butter and syrup.      


What I like about this recipe:

~uses very little sugar
~I can use my farm fresh eggs
~I can use local cornmeal we buy from a Mill
~uses butter vs. oil - I may get my cow yet
~and of course I can make these "on a dime" when I find buttermilk on sale/clearance.

    

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I have some buttermilk I need to use up, so these will be perfect for breakfast tomorrow.

Candy C. said...

I like the looks of this recipe a lot for all the reasons you mention! :)
I make my own buttermilk from the goat's milk by adding a powdered culture I get from Caprine Supply.

EMMA said...

Oh dear, it's 6.56 am here and I haven't had breakfast, this is not a good thing to be reading. My stomach is loudly protesting that it isn't having what my eyes are seeing!!!!

Sam I Am...... said...

Those look yummy! I love your recipes. They're always tasty yet frugal! Thanks for another one!