One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

From the Handiwork Journal . . .


 . . . I am up to about 52 feet on my braid of rags for my rag rug.  This was kind of forgotten about over summer and the holidays.  This project continues.


. . . still plugging away at knitting basket weave blocks for a blanket. 
 

. . . my 11 year-old daughter knitted her first bean bag.  She still needs practice, but she continues to learn.

 You may also like to read this post:  Crocheted Rag Rug

 

5 comments:

Candy C. said...

Your daughter did a great job for her first project! :)
I really like the basket weave blocks, they will make a lovely blanket.
How many feet of rag braid will you need to make a rug?

Kristina said...

For one for my bathroom sink, I am thinking I need about 80 maybe? I cut my strips a bit thinner than I should have, so my braid is not too wide. One lesson learned. I am not ironing them and folding them like most directions say to do either. I am just braiding and then sewing it all together.

Michelle said...

I need to make a rug. It would be a great way to use up all the fabric that will never be used in a quilt. Tell your daughter great job.

Anna W said...

Your daughter did a great job!

I can't wait to see both of those projects when you get them finished! I hadn't thought of a rag rug. I have all of these clothes that I intercepted from the flea market before they went into the dumpster. Some have faded shoulders (from being hung out on racks in the sun), some have a little tear or spot here or there and some had just not sold over time and they were simply tired of them and wanted new stock. I just can't stand to see all of that fabric go into the dumpster, so I bring it all home and hunt things to make out of them. Guess I better do some reading to see how to make a rag rug to see if that would work. Do you have instructions any where on here?

Kristina said...

I will see if I still have print instructions for the one I already made by crocheting the strips together. I simply cut or rip material to about 2 inches wide, and sew the ends together, then roll in rag balls. I think there may be a photo of my crocheted one on my blog, I'll check and add the link if I can find it. I've never braided one before, so this is a first for this project.