Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, November 19, 2012

One Woman's Scrap ~ Another Person's Winter Warmth

Simply Scrap ~ Scrap Happy Moments




....taking those, somewhat larger scraps of yarn, and putting them to good use. These will be shipped to New Jersey for those in need.  

Thanks to my son and telling me he saw clumps in the chicken feed, we immediately got rid of it (too late to return it), and started giving the hens apple cider vinegar.  We may still lose one hen, but thank goodness he noticed something wrong with the feed (worms, most likely came off the truck that way).

UPDATE:  The hen died. :(

The kids are helping me finish up a few ornaments to put up on my S.C.R.A.P. blogMy 16 year-old put the eyes, nose and buttons on the one I posted today.  

Is it worth it?  You know....those crochet projects you want to sell, but take 3 days to make?  These ornaments take about 2 days to finish (considering my chores I do in a day), and one day to block.  I'm not sure these are prudent to my time, in regards to selling.  







On another note, we tried a coffee mix, to test it out for gift giving.  It's called Merry Mocha Coffee.  I could not find the instant coffee I wanted, so this tasted a bit bitter.  We added a splash of peppermint creamer, and it tasted okay.  It's not the best, but then again, it could be the instant coffee.
   


2 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Pretty Scarves!
Well...as to making and blocking time on the ornaments. Probably not, like you say, prudent if you're selling. But, if you are giving a gift--some of them would make lovely embellishments to the packaging, I suppose.
Or...maybe you know a young couple starting out with little or no holiday decorations...you could bag them up and let that be a gift to them!
I think I've see a similar coffee recipe and it HAD some type of peppermint added. I love creamer.
You say it was a bit bitter...I wonder if you can add a pinch of salt if that would help. When I was in the restaurant business that is a trick we used in coffee makers to make the brewed coffee less bitter. A sprinkle of salt did a whole pot; so I wouldn't use much in your instant coffee. You could try it since you boil the water.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Kristina.
Pat

Candy C. said...

Beautiful scarves and I'm sure they will be most appreciated by those in need!
Sorry about your chicken. That's a bummer about the feed being bad. I would mention it to the feed store even though it's too late to take it back.